Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Default Only one day in gatlinburg

hey everyone,

Got a question for you guys. I have a business related trip in Gatlinburg in a couple weeks and will have time for about 1/2 day of fly fishing but not sure where to go.

I live in Chattanooga so I usually fishing the Hiwassee or Tellico river, so I'm not apposed to fishing for stockers. I love to catch wild trout but that is not my main concern. Really just looking for a day on a new river where I can enjoy finding some trout.

Where would you guys suggest??

thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM

I would drive to Greenbriar and continue up the road where we fished last October. Turn left across the river and continue up to the Ramsay Cascades trail head. Hike upstream but be careful to stay out of the gorge unless you got more than half a day. You can fish upstream of the gorge after about a 1 1/2 mile hike. You could also park and hike downstream for a mile or so and fish back up.

Another option closer to town would be to fish in and around Chimney Tops picnic area. Park below the picnic area about 2 miles down. Fish upstream. There are more places but these two would be my first choice due to your time limitations.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM

foureyes--I would drive to one of the "quiet walks" or "nature trails" along Hwy. 441 just inside the Park above Sugarlands Visitor Center. You can be on the stream in moments and there's half a day's fishing before you get into the area where the road climbs the ridge high above the real Sugarlands. I've always been able to catch goodly numbers of fish here, and the most important thing is it allows you to maximize your time astream thanks to minimal walking and almost no driving time.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Along with Jim's recommendation I would start at the second pull out above Park HQ...the one past the handicap accessible walkway....some very good water here and the gradient is not as steep....less rock climbing...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Not trying to be a know it all, but I find that the water can get skinny below Cambell's overlook not to mention it getting warm in September. I have always found better fishing and a lot cooler water above Cambell's. I have had readings as high as 67 degrees at Cambells, can't imagine what it will be down at Sugarlands during this hot summer. It really doesn't take that much time to drive to the parking lot below Chimneys.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I am fishing the park this week and the magic temp seems to be 64 degrees. I found it above Greenbrier(best fishing so far) and above Elkmont. If your time is free in the morning, the Sugarlands area might be good or the Little River below Elmont. If afternoon, then I would go higher. At least that has worked this week for me. But I love just being in the mountains and on the water - catching fish is the icing on top.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 PM

If the weather continues to cool you should be fine at Sugarlands. Fished it today and caught several fish.