Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Free Basic Map PDFs are Back

These free map downloads are intended to provide orientation for planning your next trip or just looking up some obscure streams like Devils Tater Patch Branch.

I hope they are helpful to you.

JF

2/2/12: Decided it would be best to pull the free maps.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-02-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Old 09-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks, Joe

I use these for a lot of virtual trips while @ work
Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

John, I like that.

What is your biggest virtual fish to date?

JF
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Smile

Thanks for the maps they are really nice. You should be proud of your work.

Now what I think would be real cool would be if you made a transparent map of the smokies as a .gpx file you could download to your gps. Kind of like the tennessee landform professor does for waterfall, arches, peaks, etc.
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/

Always a dreamer,
James
Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 PM

I have to admit that I would be more likely to buy these maps if they included a little general direction. For instance the map of Tuckasegee map; If it included a few footnotes on where to camp. Where to park. Where to restock on food etc. I would be willing to pay a bit more and it would be a more meaningful purchase for me. Just a map is ok, but just a little more effort would make it a lot more tempting for me. Just my two cents on your product (sorry, you didn't ask, but I thought it might be helpful)
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Mapsource?

Hey Joe Fred, can these be used in Mapsource in conjunction with a GPS?

steve
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
...would be real cool would be if you made a transparent map of the smokies as a .gpx file you could download to your gps. Kind of like the tennessee landform professor does for waterfall, arches, peaks, etc.
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/
Always a dreamer,
James
Thanks, James. I'll look into that. I have made use of Professor Tom's impressive material in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Hey Joe Fred, can these be used in Mapsource in conjunction with a GPS?
steve
No, sorry Steve. I'm pretty low tech, but thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I have to admit that I would be more likely to buy these maps if they included a little general direction. For instance the map of Tuckasegee map; If it included a few footnotes on where to camp. Where to park. Where to restock on food etc. I would be willing to pay a bit more and it would be a more meaningful purchase for me. Just a map is ok, but just a little more effort would make it a lot more tempting for me. Just my two cents on your product (sorry, you didn't ask, but I thought it might be helpful)
Thanks, BRF. I am always interested in feedback. Just to be sure we're on the same page, this post was referring to FREE maps. The Tuckasegee freebie is dumbed down from what it once was. I purposely deleted trails and backcountry campsites since they are now on the for-sale downloads (left of the freebies)* and the for-sale printed versions I have developed since. Below is part of the reverse side of the Upper Deep Creek and Forney Creek maps. It serves as the new Tuckasegee System map. There's ample parking at Deep Creek CG and at the various trailheads. There's a number of grocery and convenience stores in Bryson City which, I can say from personal experience, cater to Park visitors. Lastly, even the best of maps still need to used in conjuction with books like Jim Casada's and some internet seach of towns nearby. I offer these links to Smokies area Chambers of Commerce & Visitors Bureaus.

Thanks for your interest.

JF

*Late evening 9/7 update: The Freebies and the For-Sale Downloads now each have their own page on the web site.

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-07-2010 at 10:15 PM..
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Ah, sounds good. Do you offer trails/info that can't be found on park maps etc?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM

BRF, no not on the free ones. On the others: pretty much the same as the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps, but on a larger scale so one can more easily see the trail/stream gradients, crossings, etc. Of course, this will require a lot of 11x17 maps to do the job. (A goal is to do a Top 25 park streams.) The 11x17 is a key in that they can be printed on-demand and at a more affordable price on a laser printer versus a large run on a commercial printing press as was the case with the larger Little River premium map. I am currently using Rix Copies in Morristown. The weatherproof paper we use is sold by iGage Mapping based in Utah.

One final point... since I am using shaded relief enhancements of the original USGS quad maps as a background, you will see indications of un-maintained trails/Jeep roads not on the Park Service or the TI maps. Whereas the cemetaries, ruins, etc., that appear are interesting to ponder, I caution against casual use of the old trail info for backcountry hiking.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 AM

BlueRaiderFan--All that information is valid (well, maybe the "where to park" is a bit much), but the problem Fred faces, and as someone who has been in or on the fringes of the publishing business for a long time I'm aware of his problem, is one of space. You can only crowd so much information into a map before it become incomprehensible. Most if not all the information you seek can be found in sources such as guidebooks (probably your best bet), literature from local tourism authorities, and Internet searches.
To me, part of the overal experience is what my Grandpa Joe use to call "dreamin' and schemin'; i. e., planning a trip. Still, I know Fred's assiduous work ethic well enough to bet he's going to study your suggestions with care.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. I just went back to the whole thread and see Fred had responded in a somewhat similar vein. As someone who has been blessed to take a bounch of "trips of a lifetime," not to mention a couple which seemed to have me on the fast track to Hades, I know one thing for sure. Detailed background preparation for any trip to new territory, especially if it involves an overnight stay, will be highly beneficial.