Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Not wanting to get too far off track but this is kind of related to this. A small inset stating the name or location to the local fly shops might be nice. Speaking of that Jim I stayed at burnt spruce a couple of weeks ago and did pretty good on this yellow stimulator with a yellow foam body I got from a little fly shop downtown bryson city right across the street from the iron skillet restaurant. I was wondering if you knew the name of that place. It had hunting and other gear in there too and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the late 1960's. There was a great big fellow working there that sold me those flys. I really like them but they don't seem to carry the same foam body ones at lro.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Adam--You were patronizing Lester's, and the elephantine individual with whom you talked was likely Lester. Had you made many or any comments, you would have gotten a detailed outpouring of purported wisdom on area streams and fishing, never mind the fact that I doubt if the erstwhile Lester has ever ventured more than a quarter of a mile from a parking area. He's quite a character.

As for the state of the business, yes, it's quite possible it hasn't been cleaned since I was in high school. It's also possible the flies you purchased are vintage items tracing back to Fred Hall days (probably not, but I have a feeling he doesn't stock stuff on a weekly basis).

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Yeah that was the place. Lester was a nice guy and he was sitting right behind the fly selection counter on the left hand side of the store when you enter. There was another shop next door to the left of Lesters I think that had a bunch of clothing and women's dresses in it but also had some flies in the back of the store on the right hand side. I love bryson city and I like the atmosphere in those kind of shops you just don't get those kind of eclectic odds and ends in a bass pro shop

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Semi-on topic...

Joe Fred, I picked up your Forney creek map at LRO yesterday to add to my collection, good job as always, buy the way. I did notice one thing that may have been inadvertent. By campsite 74, the hiker guy symbol covers up the mileage between the way points on the lakeshore trail. i'm assuming it i supposed to say 1.0 there, but the 1 is covered up. Anyway, it's not really a problem, but something you might want to fix before you have more printed.

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Adam--Those two stores are actually one, and I think the seamstress is Lester's wife or mother. I know my father has had pants mended and altered there in the past.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-07-2010, 02:18 PM

Yeah, currently enjoying the planning of my next trip a week from Friday. Thinking of possibly hitting Cosby etc from Elkmont, but not certain if it's worth the extra drive vs just going above Elkmont. I would like to fish somewhere new. Lot's of choices. I think that my Christmas list this year will include a couple of these maps and on of Mr. Casada's books. Lot's to learn. Now I'm off to tie some Tellico's and some Foam Ants.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
... A small inset stating the name or location to the local fly shops might be nice....
Good idea, Adam. Thanks. I'll have to go there next time. I really like Bryson City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Semi-on topic...
I did notice one thing that may have been inadvertent. By campsite 74, the hiker guy symbol covers up the mileage between the way points on the lakeshore trail. i'm assuming it i supposed to say 1.0 there, but the 1 is covered up. Anyway, it's not really a problem, but something you might want to fix before you have more printed...
Good eye, ND. I just now nudged the hiker guy further down the trail. Yes. It should have revealed 1.0 mi. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
...I think that my Christmas list this year will include a couple of these maps and on of Mr. Casada's books. Lot's to learn. Now I'm off to tie some Tellico's and some Foam Ants.
Good gifts IMO, Dwayne. I hope you get your wish. Thanks

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-08-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 AM

Default Great map..Thank you.

Used it to locate a blueline i was missing using another map.

Going to have to make a trip to LRO . Not a bad thing to have to do.