Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Post Best Indicator - IMO

I have tried just about every indicator out there and I discovered an efficient gem a few years ago at Hobby Lobby. This material costs $1.99 a pack and lasts a very long time. Plus, it comes in two-color shades. I use the dark green most of the time; however, many of my friends use the light green. There are other colors for foggy conditions.

I just tie in a simple drop knot and pinch off enough material to equate to the size of the nymph. Too much and the indicator will dictate the drift. You can play with it and get a more-vertical effect by pinching some off and rolling it in longer lengths before you tie it on. Also, you can add more buoyancy by rolling it in a length and folding it back over itself.

I hope this helps some of you that may be interested. It works for me on the 'spooky' Clinch like no other....

It comes packaged like the item on the left in this picture.

Hobby Lobby: My favorite color is the dark green-comes with light green.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...roving-296491/

I hope this helps some of you if you find it interesting to try....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 09-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Added Package Image to help find it in the store.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Shawn thanks for the tip! I can't help but think the fish in the clinch might think it is a peice of floating didymo which is why they don't get spooked by it lol.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks! I have been using strike 2 yarn $4.95 for about a foot of the stuff.
So the dark green works on Clinch trout. I have been told I need to use white, the green will be much easier to see.

Tom
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tip Shawn. I'll be stopping by Hobby Lobby soon...I can't believe I just said that...Usually, my wife has to drag me in there. I bet she will be confused.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have been using treated Mcfly foam that is sold in Nashville. I will have to purchase some of this wool and try it.

I assume you put silicone or some other water repellent on the wool?

If they sell sky blue give it a try on bright sunny days.....
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have been using treated Mcfly foam that is sold in Nashville. I will have to purchase some of this wool and try it.

I assume you put silicone or some other water repellent on the wool?
That is the beauty of this product; you can mix and match your colors to suit the conditions. I do not put anything on it and it floats like a charm. The key is pinching off an ample amount of material; rolling it in to a rope shape and tying it in. You can increase the buoyancy by folding it back over-itself. One of my Romanian Friends using the frog powder. But, I have never put anything on it.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 09-07-2010 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Sweet. I'm all about saving some cheddar. The real question at hand is how much time Shawn is spending in Hobby Lobby ;-)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Carlito,
You would not imagine how much time I spend in that store to suit my creative/inventive spirit.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Carlito,
You would not imagine how much time I spend in that store to suit my creative/inventive spirit.

Gotta love Hobby Lobby

Tom
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM

I can't believe how much cheaper stuff is if you buy it from a craft marketing vs. a fly fishing marketing approach. I bought glass beads from the Lobby and for $2.39 a tube I have more glass beads than I will ever tie with. I will probably have to bequeath the tube down to my great grandchildren to get full use of it. Considering most fly tying shops sell the beads by the 25 pack I am getting a bargain.

The only draw back is that some beads are a little out of spec. I say so what. I just cull the odds out and match them up with similar sizes. When you have about 5,000 beads its really not a problem.