Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
I thought about mentioning that I bought 4 cannisters of Lefty Kreh yarn from LRO back in the spring ... best indicator yarn I have ever used. Costs quite a bit more ($5 per cannister) than the Hobby Lobby wool, but those 4 cannisters will probably outlast me. But, the difference in dollar outlay is miniscule compared to the other equipment / materials I usually purchase over a 1-2 yr period ... and I am NOT a big-time spender!

Hopefully, no offense, Shawn. I am just surprised that you chose LRO as the forum on which to advertise HL products.
Phil
Well, Phil - take a breath and think about it a second.... I have no connection what so ever to Hobby Lobby. So, I really cannot understand your perspective on me advertising for anyone. How old are you; you may be a little young to under stand social politics in web-forums...?

Maybe you just feel like a fool for spending money on a product that is advertised more than it can produce...? Who knows...? I could care less; my intentions for posting on this forum are to help others and I can guarantee you that I have no financial benefit from anything I promote. Well; my drift boat is pretty dam bad a$$; but, I am only going to let a few of those get out the first few years...
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Shawn I for one am appreciative that you posted this. It is less about the money to me than finding some creative useful fly fishing thing in some other random place which is pretty cool. I doubt Byron is sitting at home right now reading this and wringing his hands about competing with hobby lobby over yarn sales. I for one would not visit the forum here if we couldn't freely talk about products we have found even if they aren't at lro. I have mentioned other fly shops a few times myself like the one in gburg on here and never felt that the lro guys would be upset. They just aren't like that from what I can tell.

Speaking of other products my friend mundele on the board sent me this link about this "Sporty Girl Foam" that you can use for fly tying the other day. It's a foam wrap that girls use now to tie their hair up with. Not sure if they carry this at LRO but apparently you can find it at "Claire's" at the mall lol. Here is a link to a blog about it:

http://wcflies.com/blog/2008/12/a-girls-secret/

Thanks Matt for letting me in on a girl's secret ;()

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM

I am always thankful for tips and advice on all of the forums I visit. I also appreciate the forum owners, they deserve our thanks and support. Of course, they get a lot of advertising out of the site, and rightfully so, and I am sure if any of us say anything that offends them, they will let us know, that responsibility belongs with them.

I remember when I first started turkey hunting, I had no help at all. It took me three year to understand enough about turkey hunting to kill a bird. Boy, times are really different now with the how to books, the forums and all. I started fly fishing, in May of 2009 and by the end of June 2009 had my first 40 trout day, thanks in part to the knowledge I picked up on forums like this.

Thanks to all of you who are not selfish with your knowledge, and Shawn is one of the best I have found.

Rick
Old 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM

I think Rocky did the right thing. This thread has gotten and will get 10x mroe attention because of his negative post and people will find an alternative method of strike indicator. If the wool works catch rates may increase and trout intelligence may surge.

Here here for rocky...

Rocky, I promoted kool-aid as a material dye in the fly tying section. Drink sales may never recover. Which boot on my waders should I put on first?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Rocky

I'll sit in the boat with you on this one. Sure it's only a 1.99 item that 20 people went out to buy which comes to $40 roughly, or a few hours pay for a flyshop employee, or an hour or two towards the electric or water bill, or keeping a forum up & running or ordering that material you can't get at HL................................................ ...........................................ETC

Grumpy
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM

People that pay for things never complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please. ~Will Rogers

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Post Knot for (Spotlight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
People that pay for things never complain. It's the guy you give something to that you can't please. ~Will Rogers
So true bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotlight
spotlight-Any tips on tying that knot you mention? Hawk showed me once on the Caney but I done forgot I don't get to the tailwaters as much as I'd like but I have a boat now so here I come. And Rocky wth was that post about? Look out Byron Shawn is directing sales to HL...I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what types of fly rods they carry.....gheesh
Prepare yourself for a high-end graphical illustration:
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Prepare yourself for a high-end graphical illustration:
[/QUOTE]

Shawn,

Does this knot cause any problems as far a weak spot in the tippet or leader. I'll assume that once you have depth set in one spot that you would need to put on new tippet if you had to change the yarn location as it would kink the tippet.

Neal
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Great illustration, and it does cause a weak point after a while of setting the hook on fish. I think the tippet must over time bite into itself and weaken it. Generally it can take 20 fish or so before giving, and it helps to tie it into 4x to prevent premature breakage. Do not tie yarn into 6x, and shy away from 5x as well. JMO.

I personally use Lefty's and have for as long as I can remember, the stuff is fantastic. However, if that stuff works I am glad to know there is something else out there which is effective. I order my Lefty's in bulk and it is pretty cheap ordering it that way, but it still is more expensive then the HL stuff. To each their own, and life is too short to quibble over a **** strike indicator.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 PM

IMO a better alternative.......I feel the strike indicator acts as a shock absorber with this setup protecting lighter tippet.

Easily moved so that the fly is suspended in the strike zone and the strike zone can be found quickly.