Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default tough clinch

I fished the Clinch above the jail twice this week, and both outings were not what I was expecting.. I fished on Wed 9-8 from around 9 am till 3 pm or so. It drizzled rain and was overcast, which I though would be great...however, I was totaly wrong! Due to the lack of sun, and the semi warm rain, the fog was worse than usual and did not burn off untill after noon, I think. I have found this summer that most of my fish are coming on very long casts using midge larva immitations under a small dry. That presentation was impossible due to the thick fog. I was reduced to using an indicator and the same midge larva patterns without the same results. Ive seen discusions lately on here about possible indicator shy fish, and I believe in the heavily fished areas they totaly are. I did manage a few fish, one being about 16 inches, however that fish came after the fog burned off and I was able to use my dry dropper rig.

i also fished today (9-10) in the same area, and although I did much better, it was still lacking... I landed half a dozen fish or so and only fished until noon. I had a couple decent fish on that I did not land, and of course some missed strikes, as can be expected on long casts. Have any of you guys found that the Clinch seems to be a bit off for the last few days? Is it due to the fact that TVA is running alot of water, and the fish feed heavy during the increased flow? Im not sure...maybe moon phase... All I knnow is that every one I talked to today caught less than 3 fish...thats a tuff day
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Smile

2-wt .... that area gets pretty heavily slammed. Not had much success there since May-June when the sulphur hatches were excellent. Try moving up / down from the masses and fish that midge in slower currents.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I primarily fish the slower water, in my opinion that seems to be where the bigger fish hang. I dont actually fish just above the jail, I usually walk up to the old boat ramp (im guessing you know where Im talking about). I've been ripping fish from those higher holes for a couple months, and its just this week that they seem to have gotten lock jaw.. It also seems that the fish aren't as stacked up in certain places like they had been.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 PM

i went today.....seemed slow as well...caught 3 missed a few more...just dont seem to be interested in what im throwing...

did get the grand slam though!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 PM

If the sun is not out on the Clinch fishing is generally much slower then on sunny days in my experience. The water is so freaking cold that until the sun warms the bottom up a little the bug activity is very low, and thus feeding is subdued.

From what I have seen lately the fish are less spooky now then a month or so ago, and I bet my neon green indicator could be seen from space.

Try it on a sunny day, I bet it will be better.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Fished the Clinch at the jail yesterday from 11 til noon and then paddled/walked around with the canoe up the river well past the old boat launch. Rained awhile around noon and then the fog set in again. When I first got there fish were rising steadily but ignored my midges. They stopped completely when the rain started. There were about 7-8 people fishing and I saw one guy land one fish, me. It was slow.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Sitting in my truck wArming up and will add that fishing this morning has been good. No monsters but quite a few fish in the slot. All on the same old "one" fly.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
All on the same old "one" fly.
Not down to "one" fly yet, but I'm finding that I can do well most days on 2-3 flies. After all the experimenting I've done, it's starting to get simpler. Had a discussion with John Thurman last weekend about what fly he would use on the Clinch if he could only choose 1 fly. Turns out, all my experimenting had already led me to rely heavily on the same fly John said he would choose.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Not down to "one" fly yet, but I'm finding that I can do well most days on 2-3 flies. After all the experimenting I've done, it's starting to get simpler. Had a discussion with John Thurman last weekend about what fly he would use on the Clinch if he could only choose 1 fly. Turns out, all my experimenting had already led me to rely heavily on the same fly John said he would choose.
John and I would differ greatly, however, the gentleman you shared the river with a week or so ago and I are on pretty much on the same page.

I don't know that it matters, I honestly believe anything small and dark bodied will work 99.9999999999% of the time. The other times, well, that is why there is always another day to get even with them.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
John and I would differ greatly, however, the gentleman you shared the river with a week or so ago and I are on pretty much on the same page.

I don't know that it matters, I honestly believe anything small and dark bodied will work 99.9999999999% of the time. The other times, well, that is why there is always another day to get even with them.
Yep, that gentleman and I had an excellent day fishing and a great 2-3 hour conversation. And, I agree that small, dark and segmented seems to be the ticket!