Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM

I don't think I could ever make it down to one fly... My curious-impatient personality makes me try different flies and techniques every trip. The people that have fished with me laugh about it. They would be killing them on a midge/BHPT pattern and look at me oddly when I I try different flies. I kind of get bored catching fish in a particular way over time and I like to try different techniques and flies. I guess if I ever get down to just wanting to catch fish on one fly and for the sake of catching fish; I would probably just got back to fishing with a worm or corn.

However; I think this is the beauty of this sport and that everyone fly fishes for a reason, secondary to just catching fish...Defining that reason is the key to fulfillment of your fly fishing experience in my opinion...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I don't think I could ever make it down to one fly... My curious-impatient personality makes me try different flies and techniques every trip. The people that have fished with me laugh about it. They would be killing them on a midge/BHPT pattern and look at me oddly when I I try different flies. I kind of get bored catching fish in a particular way over time and I like to try different techniques and flies. I guess if I ever get down to just wanting to catch fish on one fly and for the sake of catching fish; I would probably just got back to fishing with a worm or corn.

However; I think this is the beauty of this sport and that everyone fly fishes for a reason, secondary to just catching fish...Defining that reason is the key to fulfillment of your fly fishing experience in my opinion...
I used to be the same as you, then over time just switched course. I love the simplicity.

Flies are the only thing I have kept simple in a way. I am an absolute fanatic about "rigs", water conditions, weather conditions, and other variables which play a huge role in success or failure. I wouldn't even know how to describe the way I am concerning the above. One example I will not go to the Clinch unless the water schedules are run a certain way, and the conditions are what I feel are prime. Maybe it is just that I have too much time on my hands.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I used to be the same as you, then over time just switched course. I love the simplicity.

Flies are the only thing I have kept simple in a way. I am an absolute fanatic about "rigs", water conditions, weather conditions, and other variables which play a huge role in success or failure. I wouldn't even know how to describe the way I am concerning the above. One example I will not go to the Clinch unless the water schedules are run a certain way, and the conditions are what I feel are prime. Maybe it is just that I have too much time on my hands.
Things like this make it fun for me and I completely understand how you address your trips. Sometimes; I just take my boat out throw a few times; then just ride around looking at bugs, taking pictures, and listen to music. I do try to get back to simplicity when I find myself stressed on the river or frustrated...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Maybe it is just that I have too much time on my hands.
I personally don't have much free time on my hands. For this very reason, I do keep it simple and my fly selection down to a very minimum. I have a go to fly or two that I know will produce fish each trip(almost )

If I was able to be on the river each time I thought about going, then I could see the fun in experimenting with some alternative fly selections. However, trout are somewhat dumb simple creatures. In the Clinch anything small and dark in color will produce if presented correctly, but at the same time anything large and flashy on a speedy retrieve could produce as well .

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>