Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM

If you are in a hurry there are several places on both sides of the park that you can stop and be a mini rolling stimulus package. You can gas up, buy a bucket of chicken, and a 12 pack. That helps out the guy that owns the store and all his suppliers. Then as you are driving down the road eating the chicken and drinking, throw the bones out for the animals to eat, throw the cans out for those guys that walk along the road picking up aluminum cans for resale, and save the greasy box and paper to recycle. Just trying to do my part to help the economy

Last edited by flyman; 09-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Keep them coming, I need a couple more on the NC side
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM

flyman,

As a guy I once worked with in Florida would say, you're a real "Sport Model"

Neal
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Driving south from Louisville, we try to stop at Litton's in Knoxville. World's best best burger and fries!

http://www.littonsburgers.com/menu/burgers.html
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Littons, live around 12 miles north of there, pretty good burgers for sure!

Neal
Old 09-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Townsend

Mrs Lily's is my #1

The BBQ place attached to the tubing place on the left just after the redlight where it goes to two lane highway heading into the park is delicious. I think the tubing place is River Rat.

Riverstone is good too.

On the North Carolina side, if you got time go to Franklin, NC. It's well worth the drive. In the middle of town there is a Hot Spot gas station. Attached to that gas station is a small cafe called Caffe REL. Best restaurant in this area bar none. The guy uses a lot of different sauces and has some really fancy dishes for reasonable prices. You would never imagine it's connected to a gas station. The bread they fly in from Canada with that sauce is delicious too. The homemade chocolate cake is awesome.
While I totally agree on Ms. Lilly's - the BBQ place you speak of must have either changed alot since the last time I tried it, or we have a different idea of "delicious."

On the TN side Ms. Lilly's for dinner. The apple barn type place for breakfast( can't remember the name but it's before you get into Townsend proper on the right coming from Maryville)

On the NC side, Peter's Pancakes for breakfast and if I'm lucky enough to be fishing around Maggie Valley or Waynesville - Fat Buddies BBQ for dinner. If we had a Fat Buddies here at home where I live, I'd weigh 400 pounds by Christmas. The ribs and the black-eye pea stew are very good IMHO.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 PM

Here's a hint if you stop at Full Service BBQ in Maryville. Ask for the Sweet and Spicy sauce - it's not the default sauce but it's the best. Also beware that they put raw onion and pickle on their sandwiches - I always ask them to hold both.

Before you get to Walland coming from Maryville is Melrose Station BBQ (next to an adult bookstore and motorcycle shop). It also has good BBQ but Full Service is still my favorite. If you turn right directly across from Melrose Station BBQ at the Antique Mall, go to the 4-way stop and turn right, you'll get to Becky's Grill. Great sandwiches and burgerrs. My favorite is the Ross Burger - on pumpernickle with pimento cheese. It'll make you tear up. Becky's has limited hours as in no later than 4:00 and not every day but is definitely open on Saturday.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Charlie you must not live too far from me. I pass by Becky's grill every time I am going to or from the park. I live off Sam James road and when I go out I turn on blockhouse road on out to Rocky branch and pass by that little store. Always lots of cars there but I never tried it thanks for the tip!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Crockett,

We live off Niles Ferry on Linda Ln. but will drive out to Becky's at the drop of a hat. Great place, great people. For those who have lived in the Maryville area for a good while, Becky used to work at Joe's Drive In when it was across the street from the current Little River Trading Company many years ago. Same good food.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Crockett--Yours is a sort of "wide open" question in that you don't establish any parameters on your food expectations--stomach stuffers? price the key factor? quantity? type of attire? As someone who has written a bunch of cookbooks my thoughts obviously go beyond filling my pie hole to other factors.

With that out of the way, I can speak with some authority on Bryson City. If you just want a burger or something similar, Na'Ber's, located on old U. S. 19 about a mile and a half on the road to Cherokee, is in a class by itself (and very reasonable to boot--McDonald's and Burger King aren't in the same league). Pasqualino's, located near the square, has wonderful Italian food at reasonable prices and the quantities are enormous. I'm a pretty decent trencherman and I always need a take-out box. The Cork & Barrel on the square is a new place specializing in crepes, and it's first-class. For breakfast or lunch, Everett Street Diner is hard to beat (they aren't open at night). If you are in a hurry and just want a lot of food for your dollar, the offerings at Ingle's in the hot foods/deli section fit the bill. There are other places as well, but of those i've tried (and that's most of them), the ones mentioned above come out on top.
In Cherokee, the restaurant in the Holday Inn (Chestnut Leaf or something like that) is quite good, and for all-you-can-eat home cooking Granny's Kitchen up the Soco Road is a good choice.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. Out Nantahala way there's Nantahala Inn and Relia's Garden (or is it Kitchen?).
well howdy-dooooo!