Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM

i did not try any flash backs.....should have but i wasent seeing any activity on my sinking flys so i focused on the drys....

Psnapp, what were you using? and were you fishing the rapids above the 61 bridge?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM

BigMax -- couple of miles above 61 and was using a #18 dark midge .... color didn't seem to matter as long as it's dark.

Last edited by psnapp; 09-19-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Congrats on a great day. Fall fishing on the Clinch is a special time to me.

You all and your Clinch reports are killing me. This is my favorite time to fish the Clinch, and I can't shake free to get on the water. Work has had me traveling all over lately, and when I am in town the generation schedule sucks. I was back in town last Friday afternoon, and had made arrangements to hit the river since a couple days last week they were off until noon. So that gives me well into the afternoon to fish downriver. What does TVA do, but switch things around and turn on at 9:00!!!

I am going nuts, it has been way too long since I have dunked a fly.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 PM

Try the lightning bug stocker fly or the Quasimodo...? You can catch fish on midges all day; but if you are no fluent with the holes; throw one of these flies to promote the fish to move a bit.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Sounds like a great day! I've heard of people having days like this wading on the Clinch, I've never had one in 20 years, I need to figure some things out, or get a new tape measure.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn hound View Post
or get a new tape measure.

HAHA....I'm with ya there

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn hound View Post
Sounds like a great day! I've heard of people having days like this wading on the Clinch, I've never had one in 20 years, I need to figure some things out, or get a new tape measure.

I have never had one in 25 years either, but hey there is always hope for the future. Well, wait I did have a day about 6 years or so ago where I only caught 2 fish and both were over 20", but that was throwing streamers in February after 8" of snow and 2 generators. Miserable day, and the 2 fish weren't worth the misery.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM

This is why I rarely post, I was excited about having a good day and even shared my fly and general location and the doubting birds reared their ugly heads. I know it was a large dose of luck but it was honest. I hope your doubts made you feel better about yourself.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire guy View Post
Fished this morning for a couple of hours and had much success. The success came after I either got the correct color or depth, probably both for my midge. Smallest fish to hand was 18" with several over 20. It was enough I considered marking them to see if I was catching the same fish. I was above the jail past the island letting my bug float thru the riffles. I hope this helps someone else. I enjoy reading but seldom post.
Excellent day... great job! I'd bet you that will be a day you never forget, especially on some light tippet. I'm headed down there this weekend and can only hope to catch one in that range.. that would make my weekend!
thanks for sharing
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire guy View Post
This is why I rarely post, I was excited about having a good day and even shared my fly and general location and the doubting birds reared their ugly heads. I know it was a large dose of luck but it was honest. I hope your doubts made you feel better about yourself.
Don't get all upset before understanding where the comments originate from and the reasoning behind them.

I can't speak for all who posted but for myself, psnapp, tn hound, and wilson10, we have spent years and decades fishing the Clinch. I also along with others know a bunch of folks who have similar tenures haunting the Clinch. I have never heard of a day, and definitely never had a day like you describe. I have had days where **** near every fish was 14"-16" with the rare dink mixed in. In fact I have had 2 of those type days and they were this summer during murky water conditions. I just have never experienced or heard of a day with all fish exceeding 18" on standard midges/nymphs.

To people who fish, fish a lot, and fish the same river a lot; it just comes across as questionable when something is stated which far surpasses what has ever been experienced on a particular river.

It is nothing personal and I don't see anything mean spirited in the comments posted, just a general questioning or bewilderment expressed by some.