Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Default Flies to use

I am headed to do a back country trip from fri-sun. I was just wondering if there are any hatches that go on now and what flies for them. I am assuming that the ordinary attractor dries and nymphs will suffice if there are no hatches.
Thanks for input

-Garrett
Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Thumbs up

You're right, nothing much happening hatch wise right now. In addition to the standard attractor patterns and nymphs you mentioned I'd add a few terrestrial patterns. Ants, beetles, Inch Worms, and hopper patterns are still working well.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Just a question about the terrestrials. Should they be generally smaller (size 12 and smaller) or am I ok to use the size 8-10 hoppers I have? Also are the creeks pretty low now or have there been a few showers lately? Thanks
Garrett
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

I've caught almost all my fish lately on a #16 green weenie dropper.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Hey Rainbow Warrior the creeks are very low right now. Are you going to the NC or TN side?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Hey Rainbow Warrior the creeks are very low right now. Are you going to the NC or TN side?
I will be in NC. I thought they would be low. Hopefully I can be stealthy enough to hook a few. It's a pretty small stream.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Great I was asking cause I will be in NC this weekend on a single night trip. Shoot me an email if you want to adam.s.beal at gmail and we can compare notes as to where we will be at in case its close by.

There should be some water to fish and there is a slight chance of rain over there this weekend to so lets hope it does a bit this time. I am taking small never sink caddis, yellow stimulators, greenie weenies, and various nymphs. Almost all the flies I take into the smokies are size 14 to 18.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Great I was asking cause I will be in NC this weekend on a single night trip. Shoot me an email if you want to adam.s.beal at gmail and we can compare notes as to where we will be at in case its close by.

There should be some water to fish and there is a slight chance of rain over there this weekend to so lets hope it does a bit this time. I am taking small never sink caddis, yellow stimulators, greenie weenies, and various nymphs. Almost all the flies I take into the smokies are size 14 to 18.
Just sent you an email. Hopefully we do get a little rain. It would sure help.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Rainbow Warrior--Flyman's response pretty well nails it. I would note that I had an exceptional day today using a #14 Thunderhead with a #18 Prince Nymph underneath it. In three hours I caught roughly twenty-five fish, and they were about equally divided between the dry and the nymph. Four of them went better than a foot (none by much, I should add), and incredibly, all were rainbows.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Rainbow Warrior--Flyman's response pretty well nails it. I would note that I had an exceptional day today using a #14 Thunderhead with a #18 Prince Nymph underneath it. In three hours I caught roughly twenty-five fish, and they were about equally divided between the dry and the nymph. Four of them went better than a foot (none by much, I should add), and incredibly, all were rainbows.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Jim, that sounds like a great day. Luckily for me i have both of those. I will have to give them a try for sure. I am going to fish panther creek again because i had pretty good results last time I fished it. I was also looking at a topographic map to look for another place to try. I found one small stream that is near where we are staying that me and a buddy will go to. Just one thing to add.When i was up there last time i was told by a few of the locals and one camper said that there were steelhead that stay where panther creek flows into lake fontana. Could this be true? Or would it be lake run rainbows. The camper said he caught one last year around 6-7 lbs. He showed me a picture on his phone for proof, so I am a believer. So could they really be steelhead or are they most likely mammoth lake run rainbows?