Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM

Ok well, I'll throw mine in since no one else likely uses the same material I do. I started tying a few months ago (june or July, don't remember exactly when) and since I mostly had been fishing parachute adams and the like, that's what I wanted to tie. My father-in-law had a basic fly tying kit that had been gathering dust for 15 years and I borrowed that to practice with. It had mist of the essentials, but nothing for tying parachutes. Since I wanted to practice with this whole tying thing before buying a bunch of materials, I had improvise on the post material. It didn't take too long before I decided to use a source which was constantly giving me an abundance of material:

He's kinda dirty in this picture, but after a bath he is white white. Anyway, for anyone not familiar with German Shepherds, they have two coats, a top coat (which has long hair) and an undercoat (which is much shorter). A couple of times a year he molts his undercoat and it comes out in tufts of hair about 1-2" long. These dense tufts work great for parachute posts, especially since they are free and the piles of fur I have to sweep up from him shedding several times a week attest to the fact that there is no shortage of material. The hairs only really line up when the come directly off of his coat, so I usually just give him a bath, dry him, and the collect a bunch of tufts that are shedding and then brush him down. He doesn't seem to mind too much...

Here is a selection of some flies, some better than others, but pretty decent for a novice, I suppose, since they catch skiddish smokies wild trout:

Last edited by NDuncan; 09-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: cropped picture
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Nduncan-

Glad that you have gone "green" and are recycling your dog! Dog hair makes all of the sense in the world.

I've got a Persian cat that sheds all of the time. I think I'm going to start collecting his hair and try it out for a parachute post. I assume that cat hair is hollow and will float for a reasonable amount of time. Anybody know for sure?

Your flies look good, even for a "novice" as you said. Keep working at it, and it will really start to come together. I'm learning all of the time, from this Forum, some friends in TU, and my local fly shop where we tie flies on Saturday mornings.

Bill

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 09-21-2010 at 12:04 PM..
Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Cat hair makes very good dubbing
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 PM

flyman-

Thanks for the imput, guess my cat is going to be bald soon.

Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM

NDuncan -- mighty fine looking flies, novice or otherwise. I still use the high-vis poly post material mostly in chartreuse. One of the few colors my eyes can pick up in the foam lines.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Flyman mentioned black posts, and I want to second that. On an overcast day, nothing stands out better.

-Milton