Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Default Best bow yet......

....... I know it's a pup compared to what you guys catch, but this is my best yet on the Grinch. Caught a few more smaller fish but it sure didn't fish like last sun., was slow for sure.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Nice one, congrats. Guessing from the photo, 18-20 inches?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM

ifish....... beats me left the darn tape at the house in my "mountain" pack. Was trying to get the pics. and him/her back in the water as soon as possible and really didn't think about it until after the release. Oh well, need to pick up another tape, lesson learned.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Yep, biggest brown I ever caught I released and then thought about measuring him. I had a tape, I just didn't use it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

Nice fish, and based on the pic I would say that fish is 14"-15".
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Nice looking rainbow knik! You did better than me this weekend. I started late on Sunday and the water was low and the fish were spooky. I had a few hits, but no fish landed.

Neal
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM

One tip on measuring a fish that I have picked up is to measure against your net and cut notches. Also, you could put tick marks on your net with permanent marker.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFork View Post
One tip on measuring a fish that I have picked up is to measure against your net and cut notches. Also, you could put tick marks on your net with permanent marker.
IMO the easiest way and offers the least stress to the fish is to measure your rod. Measure to the end of the cork, to the end of the writing above the cork. That should give you about 18" and anything over that can easily be judged by the eye. Nets IMO are horribly destructive to the fish, they remove scales and slime at an alarming rate. There is no question when I pick a fish up which has been landed in a net, they look beat up and many times sport split tails where the net bag slices their tails. Rubber bagged nets work great, but their use by wade fisherman is almost nill.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
IMO the easiest way and offers the least stress to the fish is to measure your rod. Measure to the end of the cork, to the end of the writing above the cork. That should give you about 18" and anything over that can easily be judged by the eye. Nets IMO are horribly destructive to the fish, they remove scales and slime at an alarming rate. There is no question when I pick a fish up which has been landed in a net, they look beat up and many times sport split tails where the net bag slices their tails. Rubber bagged nets work great, but their use by wade fisherman is almost nill.
Agreed. Not only are they bad for the fish but they are a pain as far as tangled flies go. I have used a rubber net for a long time now. Only problem with using the rod as a measurement tool is that the fish cannot be measured and held with two hands, where with a net you can leave the net hanging and gauge the fish size by where the net is held to the wood. To each their own though.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Great fish! Thanks for the post.