Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Shawn,
I know how much I enjoy reading about the trout fishing and the area on this board....wish I could contribute more on that side (i.e. wish I had been able to get up to the mountains much more). Since I cannot I try and share what I can for those that can't get this way much.

John
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

JohnH, I'm headed to Fripp for the week next week. Bringing my boat to fish the marshes and creeks. Am a fly fisherman. I have spoons and Clousers. Any advice?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM

It is the time of year when the bite should really start to be good on the low tide flats. Spoons and clousers are good choices as well as shrimp patterns and crab patterns. The fish are starting to get agressive with the falling water temps. Is it a flats boat? You can also find some wading flats and fish some of the high tides in the wading areas.

John
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

John, it's a G3 center console jonboat. Might as well be a flats boat, although I don't have a pole. How do you know where it's safe to wade vs. just a mud hole?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
Shawn,
I know how much I enjoy reading about the trout fishing and the area on this board....wish I could contribute more on that side (i.e. wish I had been able to get up to the mountains much more). Since I cannot I try and share what I can for those that can't get this way much.

John
John,
You do very well at contributing and I consider you my Redfish Advisor. I appreciate your willingness to help and share information with others...Keep up the kindness and I guarantee it will come back to you twice-fold! Have a good one bro!
SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM

ronhenry-

A poling rod allows you to "test" the flats bottom before you jump into mud or over you head. Also, the pole allows to push your way onto the flats and not spook any fish that might be lurking. Water will transmit sound a lot further than air, and the sound of an engine will definitely spook 'em. A longer pole is more useful than a short one.

Bill
Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhenry123 View Post
John, it's a G3 center console jonboat. Might as well be a flats boat, although I don't have a pole. How do you know where it's safe to wade vs. just a mud hole?
It is always smart to test it first, but the rule of thumb is that the short grass will have a hard bottom. Now I am not to experienced in fishing wadable flats accessible by boat, but the ones I have gone to hole the same. The grass is shorter because the bottom is hard and has less nutrients. Be careful of bare spots that might be puff mud.

I recommend finding a wadable flat prior to the water coming in, so you can see where all of the small channels are that will be underwater when the tide is in. On some flats I have used tape flags to mark some of these small creeks so that when the water is in I can still know where the creek is.

Once you find a short grass flat and see how the bottom is, it becomes alot easier for you to tell the difference by the grass. You will see the grass change at the margins that indicate where it starts getting soft.

Hope this helps. When are you going to be this way?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Shawn,
Let me know if you get a chance to plan a trip and I will try and help you out. It is a great experience.

Speed,
The best advice is to look at the tides, and plan a trip when the tides are good. Normally the tides are pretty good towards the end of summer/fall. Earlier in the summer the tides can be less predictable, i.e. the prevailing winds can keep the water out, while in the late summer/fall the prevailing winds often bring extra water in. I use a tide log, and the best bet would be to check the tides ahead and plan a trip when you have tides that are going to be from 7.7 to 8.3 for the majority of your visit. Now these tides are for the Beaufort/HHI area and are uncorrected at the Savannah River Mouth. Tides for other parts of the coast would be different, and I do not know what constitutes a good tide in the Charleston area (the tides there are lower than they are in my area). Hope this helps.

John
Thanks John, it helps allot. If you could head to the coast in October/November for the weekend and wanted to wade for redfish what are would you head to?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Shawn,
Let me know if you get a chance to plan a trip and I will try and help you out. It is a great experience.

Speed,
The best advice is to look at the tides, and plan a trip when the tides are good. Normally the tides are pretty good towards the end of summer/fall. Earlier in the summer the tides can be less predictable, i.e. the prevailing winds can keep the water out, while in the late summer/fall the prevailing winds often bring extra water in. I use a tide log, and the best bet would be to check the tides ahead and plan a trip when you have tides that are going to be from 7.7 to 8.3 for the majority of your visit. Now these tides are for the Beaufort/HHI area and are uncorrected at the Savannah River Mouth. Tides for other parts of the coast would be different, and I do not know what constitutes a good tide in the Charleston area (the tides there are lower than they are in my area). Hope this helps.

John
John,
I will be in Edisto Island on June 10 and a local guide her in East Tennessee suggested I contact you and you may offer me some advise. I will be with the family but would like to fish as much as I can. I'm wanting to either Kayak or wade any of the tidal creeks or marsh areas around Edisto. My guide friend says that Beaufort would be better than Edisto. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Speed
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Information

Speed,
The most important thing is that there is good tides, and you definately picked a good time to come. Starting on Friday, the tides are good till at least Teusday the 14th, and if you have a flat that floods early you may even be able to fish Wed the 15th (tide will be just a little late, i.e. dark).

I know that there are plenty of good wading spots in the Charleston area....I just don't know any of them. I have not had a chance to fish up there at all. I fish around Beaufort, and a little aroun Hilton Head. You may want to check on this board for some Charleston Information:

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/default.asp

Click on the tab for fly fishing. You may have to join to get participate and ask questions, and I highly recommend you do.

Mad Mike and Nikonjedi would where I would start to get some information...people can be a little touchy about sharing info. I would introduce yourself, let them know that you are coming, and then go see them (I think that they both work at fly shops in Charleston). They would be more likely to help you with some information in person.

If you are coming to the Beaufort area I will give you some places to try out. Let me know your e-mail address and who referred you to me if you do not mind.

John