Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Help fishing WPLP/Road Prong for first time

I will be in the Smokies toward the end of this week and was thinking of scouting the WPLP as I drove in from Cherokee to Gatlinburg. I've read reports about fishing Road Prong. Do you start at the Chimneys trailhead and walk up? What about all the bridges that are commonly mentioned? Where do they start and how far up do they go? As far as WPLP near the Chimneys picnic area, where do you go from there, above or below? How far above the picnic area does the "gorge" portion start? I am not trying to steal anyone's honeyhole, just wanting to try a spot that I've driven past my entire life. You may e-mail me if you prefer at dawgvet2003@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Jedidiah
Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM

When you going to be up there? I am considering going saturday or sunday right now, unfortunately can't take any more days off work right now.

Fishing from chimney's trailhead, you will see 2 bridges when you go down from the road where everyone swims. If you go to the second bridge, you can fish from that bridge upstream to bridge 3 and catch a mix of bows and specs. From bridge 3, you will get all specs. I usually fish bridge 3-4 or 4-5 when I am around there.

You can drive past the trail head heading toward NC and fish along the road too.

Never been around the picnic area, so can't help you there.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM

Might poke around Thursday but if I go likely will be Friday morning to avoid some weekend crowds.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM

DV, If you want to hookup, drop me a PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Dawgvet,

The best wait to get to the gorge is to go up 441 a little over a mile past the hairpin turn just after the picnic area. There is a big pulloff with a Nature Exhibit sign. Go down the bank from there and fish upstream. If you have enough time and energy, you can fish all the way up to the bridges at the Chimneys trailhead. Just know that if you go that far, you're going to have to walk the ledge back through the tunnel. None of the above is for the faint of heart.

There is a way to get back up to the road through a rough manway just at the beginning of the flats. This trail will take you up to the middle of the outside of the tunnel where you make a right and get to the lower end of the tunnel from the outside. Best to have someone take you that way the first time you try it. But you can just follow the sound of the motorcycles and eventually find your way to the road.

Lots of boulder hopping but beautiful water with great mix of plunge pools, runs, flats, everything you'd ever want from a freestone stream. Probably a good 5-6 hours of fishing depending on have quickly you move. There's just way too many sweet spots to go too fast.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Just a word of caution... "the gorge" area is really rugged and you should be super careful and well prepared if you fish that alone. Also, there are very few convenient ways to get out of the river other than doubling back when fishing above the picnic area all the way up to the chimneys trailhead. If you look at a map, the river get's very far away from and well below the road.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
Might poke around Thursday but if I go likely will be Friday morning to avoid some weekend crowds.
i normally fish there during the weekend, not too many people once you get on the creek even if there is a ton of people in the parking spots.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I hiked up to the third bridge from the Chimneys trailhead. I had all the family with me so only managed to flip into a couple pools with no takers. I will make a return visit, rest assured. Very beautiful area indeed.
Thanks Again,
Jedidiah
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I fished the "gorge" back in may with a buddy and a guide. We went in close to where Charlie said. Slid down the hill to the stream. Great experience, great fishing, and very rugged. Fished for over 5 hours.

We did the return through the tunnel on the ledge.

I am looking forward to doing it again.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM

This was a good read. I am planning a trip there next week. What do you mean by "walking the ledge through the tunnel"? Are you referring to a regular tunnel on the road?