Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM

Default Fish size in GSMNP

I guess this is more of an opinionated question, but I would like to hear everyone's input. What is considered an average sized catch, a great catch, and a trophy catch for all three species of trout in the GSMNP. I'm interested to see what everyone comes up with.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm just hoping for 7" right now.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM

I really have no idea, but I was quite proud of the 14 inch brown I caught in a small GSMNP stream in April.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM

To me: Most all would be average at around 8" Brookies might be a touch smaller on average. Nice for me would be 10" and anything in the 12-14 inch range is a humdinger.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM

tnflyguy--Obviously a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, and the "biggest" trout I ever caught was my first one on a fly. That being noted, here's my breakdown in the trophy category, and I'm speaking strictly of Park waters:
1. Speck--10 inches
2. Rainbow--13 inches
3. Brown--18 inches
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. I think you are more likely to catch a trophy brown, based on my standards, than the other two.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all of the replies so far. One of the reasons for starting this thread is based upon a fish a caught recently. Last week I went fishing in the park and had only caught one small rainbow in a couple hours. Right before calling it quits, I pulled the old well let me fish this last hole before I leave. Wouldn't you know, I caught my best fish in the park in that last hole. It was a beautiful 13 inch rainbow. It wasn't just skinny either, it had some girth to it. It came out of a pretty deep hole out from under a rock ledge in some swift water. I figured this was a pretty good fish for the park, so I was curious to hear others opinions.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
P. S. I think you are more likely to catch a trophy brown, based on my standards, than the other two.
Interesting that you say that. I have personally had much better luck with larger rainbows as compared to the larger browns (at least some of which were definitely wild fish). I have caught plenty of browns up to the 18"-19" range but just can't break 20". I've caught wild rainbows up to 16". The funny thing about the rainbows is that they just sort of happen, but with the browns, I'm usually trying for nice fish (although not always).
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM

According to Jim's measurements I am 2/3 of the way to having trophy fish in all categories...have caught a 10" spec, a 16" rainbow and have only managed a 14" brown...think the overall lack of a consistent food base and low harvest rate has an overall effect on the size....
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Plateau Angler--Maybe I should have said I think there are more trophy-class browns, by my standards, than there are either specks or rainbows. I'm going strictly on personal observations, but in my fishing I see far more trophy browns than either rainbows or specks (again, I'm speaking strictly of Park waters).

Interestingly, had this question been posed to me 30 or 40 years ago, my size for browns would have been smaller and that for rainbows larger. There were far more big 'bows in the Park in the 1960s and 1970s than there are today, and of that I am certain.

Jim Casada
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Plateau Angler--Maybe I should have said I think there are more trophy-class browns, by my standards, than there are either specks or rainbows. I'm going strictly on personal observations, but in my fishing I see far more trophy browns than either rainbows or specks (again, I'm speaking strictly of Park waters).

Interestingly, had this question been posed to me 30 or 40 years ago, my size for browns would have been smaller and that for rainbows larger. There were far more big 'bows in the Park in the 1960s and 1970s than there are today, and of that I am certain.

Jim Casada
I will back up that last statement....in the late 60s and early 70s there were some rainbows in the large plunge pools up Fish Camp Prong that would make your knees go weak...you could see them from the trail and would just look at them in awe.