Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM

As someone else said I don't think protecting the fish is really the reason some get upset if you name a stream it is the fact that there may be more people there and you don't get it to yourself as much which I can totally understand. Honestly though part of the issue is many people are just simply happier when they have something to whine about. That's human nature. I am torn on this issue myself but throwing out the names of 20 streams like this that the govt surveyed is a far lesser offence than posting a stream that you fished in which you found specks that is not really public knowledge.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM

I feel like I have said this before on another thread, but i doubt this will be last time someone brings this topic up...

I used to only fish the park when I was here on vacation from texas, and had no real idea about where to go, I always used to fish the places right along the road. When I moved here last year, I mostly did that until I got and read Jim Casada's book last fall. Joe Fred's maps make a great compliment to this text for someone wanting to learn all they can. As such, this season I have spent more time exploring more out the way places. In almost every place I have been, even if I didn't see another soul all day, I managed to find litter, which I remove when I find it. All this to say, there is a flip side to this, there will be inconsiderate people that visit all the most secluded places from time to time, no matter if they are never posted printed anywhere, but when more responsible people visit, we can at least keep ahead of them. No one goes to their favorite place everyday. I understand not wanting to invite the shady sorts of people to your favorite stream or even wanting to deal with questions about the more sensitive areas in more discreet ways such as my phone or email, but when people start talking about how they learned everything because they have lived here all their life and explored it since they were kids, therefore others should have to do the same thing, if they want to know anything about streams, it rubs me the wrong way, because as someone who didn't have that privilege, does that make me less worthy of fishing in the park? Am I not capable of using these natural resources responsibly, just because I learned these things in a different part of the country? Or is it just that newcomers need not apply and go back where you came from?

To everyone else that has been to helpful to me and others like me, thanks. The help that you give, in my opinion, impacts many of the waterways in more positive ways than negative.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM

NDuncan--Alas, you touch what is, for me at least, a very sore point. Namely, finding human detritus on even the most remote of streams you visit. I fear that much, indeed most, of it is left by precisely the same folks who are locals who don't want to reveal anything to outsiders.
Most mountain folks are, to a certain degree, xenophobic, and I fall into that group. However, the Park belongs to ALL of us, and anyone who fouls it is trash--only trashy people leave trash. Don't get me wrong, it isn't every son of the Smokies who leaves litter, but far too many do. It's a mindset which infuriates me and which I cannot understand (and certainly don't excuse). Still, it is reality.
Newcomer or not, I'm willing to help, share, and hope that others get some of the same joy from the mountains that I have.
Extending that kind of thinking, I feel quite confident that the vast majority of the folks who participate in this forum are thinking, caring stewards of the environment. I don't, for a minute, worry about sharing knowledge of places, techniques, or anything else I know.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM

I have talked to long time poachers in the Park and they prefer those hard to reach brookie streams since they are also patrolled much less... They can go catch a bushel of brookies and no one will ever catch them...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

Now, if fishing has no impact and, indeed, it's good to keep some fish, why all the angst over naming a stream if the increased fishing is going to have no impact?

It's a paradox that I just can't figure out.

Jeff
Because it's frustrating to hike 3 or 4 miles in to a stream only to find wet foot prints all over the rocks in a stream you could take 3 steps and be to the other side of. The natural tendency for some is to blame something or someone other than your own bad luck, and an internet message board is an easy target.

I've been there many times...excitement during the build up to your trip, a long strenuous hike in, arrive at the stream, and you find that someone has already had their way with "your stream" all morning long. You can go ahead and fish, but 9 times out of 10 on a small stream, you might as well go find somewhere else to fish. Its a big let down and for some people can be very frustrating.

I've tried to put a more positive spin on these situations lately. Its like the old rule with basketball: if one man is being double teamed, another man is left open. If one stream is taken, there is bound to be an un-touched gem somewhere out there.

All this being said....I don't post backcountry stream names any more. I did a little write-up on a certain brown trout stream a while back and received some advice that maybe it isn't the best thing to post its name, although obvious to some.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM

"Dude grab the corn and come on I just saw on the internet there's brook trout in Onion Bed Branch on the Luftee Quad! Thank you Fred!"

hehe sorry I couldn't resist... Yeah that's me and my drift boat at the Wye.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Good point Jeff. I own five different flyfishing books on the Smokies, the majority of these streams are mentioned in one or more of those books. I understand many people have their secret spot and that they want to keep it a secret. There could be 500 hundred books and maps on the "blue lines" in the Smokies, but a small percentage of the fishing population will venture to these waters unless they get advice from a friend on someone in a forum, especially if they are off-trail.

Neal
Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
"Dude grab the corn and come on I just saw on the internet there's brook trout in Onion Bed Branch on the Luftee Quad! Thank you Fred!"

hehe sorry I couldn't resist... Yeah that's me and my drift boat at the Wye.
Crockett,

Thanks for that laugh man, I needed that

Neal
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Default A horse of a different color

I failed to realize that whereas two miles or more of hiking would be necessary to reach all the previously listed streams, a number of them were near trails that permit horses. I have since deleted the latter category streams from the list in the original post.

Sorry for the oversight.

JF

PS. Ya got me, Crockett. Tell me. Is it true they manufacture those drift boats in Rogersville?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I'm an infrequent poster here but fish the Park alot. I typically backpack to many of the streams you've mentioned.....for one reason.....solitude.

This topic always creates tension.

With that said, I've got to side with John on this one. What is the purpose for posting this information? Don't get me wrong, I believe in helping out a fellow fisherman to a degree but....I won't post my favorite fishing spots on the World Wide Web for all to see. I think oftentimes we become comfortable in our little internet community, oblivious to the fact that the rest of the fishing world is peering over our shoulder.

A certain message board coined the term "cyber scouting"....basically finding productive fishing locations without the sweat, ticks and mosquitoes. So this thread provides information at the click of a mouse....that took some of us many years of hard work to gather.

I've got to respectfully submit that this is a bad idea as well.

My dos pesos.
I have to agree with Jon and Drifter, for what it's worth. When the topic of naming small streams online comes up, some folks can't understand what the objections are from folks like us. They think we don't realize that there are maps or that we're worried about someone catching all the fish out of our favorite creek. What we're worried about most of the time isn't the fish in those creeks, but the worn banks that could be the result of thousands of anglers making there way there to fish in a period of a couple of years or less. Until you've seen your favorite trout stream "painted" with brown fisherman trails up both sides, I suppose it's easy enough to figure posting the name and even the location of a small creek can't hurt.

It's not the fishing we'd like to preserve, it's the experience.

Well said, Chuckwalla and Drifter. Good to see you, SK.