Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Who ya gonna call?

Let's just say, hypothetically speaking of course, that a person was going to make a trip into the park for a day of solo fly fishing. Being a cautious and considerate sort, he lets the homefolks know where he's going, which stream(s) he will be on, and when he expects to be home. Unfortunately, something bad happens and he gets injured or otherwise stranded away from his vehicle and in a spot with no cell phone reception. Since he didn't check in by the designated time, family members prepare to alert the authorities and start the search. But wait! Which authorities should be contacted and at what numbers? Is there an emergency number for the park? Not that I could find on their website. Would you be better served to call the local sheriff's office? Blount County or Sevier County (on the TN side)?

So, if someone goes missing in the park, who do you call to get them found?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 PM

I don't rely on phone calls, I have a personal satellite tracker. Something you may want to invest in.

This may be something LRO may be interested in stocking.

As an avid mountain (on and off road) motocycle rider, I go to all sorts of places that have no cell service. This lets my family know exactly where I am at, where I was, and also gives me access to emergency services if I need them.

It also sends preprogrammed txt messages or emails to who I want to let them know I am alright or if I need help at the push of a button.

It does more, but I haven't figured out all the options yet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SPOT+-+S...=1218116795825
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 PM

I think most incidents in the backcountry will either kill you pretty quickly ie falling and suffering a severe head injury, severed artery, heart attack, bear attack, etc. or you will have an incapacitating but not immediately life threatening injury ie broken leg meaning you have some time. In all those serious accidents even if you can contact a ranger immediately you will NOT be rescued quickly. It will take them a lot of time to get a rescue organized and then work their way through the backcountry to you and then get you out. You are looking at hours in the best case scenario.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I think most incidents in the backcountry will either kill you pretty quickly ie falling and suffering a severe head injury, severed artery, heart attack, bear attack, etc. or you will have an incapacitating but not immediately life threatening injury ie broken leg meaning you have some time. In all those serious accidents even if you can contact a ranger immediately you will NOT be rescued quickly. It will take them a lot of time to get a rescue organized and then work their way through the backcountry to you and then get you out. You are looking at hours in the best case scenario.
I understand the chance of having a DRT (Dead Right There) type of accident, and also the delay in getting help out to someone, but how exactly should one go about getting the search started, especially after hours. I suppose that during regular business hours someone could call the main ranger station or visitor center number, but the scenario I'm talking about would put the call at 8:00pm or 9:00pm or later. I can't seem to find an emergency contact number for the park to give to my family in Roane County to get someone out looking for me several counties away. That's what I'm looking for here - what number should I have my daughter call if she knows where I was going, but I didn't come back when I should have?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 AM

i gotcha Santa. The emergency number for the park is 865-436-1230. I would have her call that first or 911 and they can route you through. I would use those two numbers instead of the the local sheriffs department I think it will get quicker results. Hope that helps sorry to get off track there with the postulating.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks, Crockett. That's exactly the number I was looking for. You'd think they'd post it somewhere on their website or make it somewhat easier to find. Just curious, but where is it posted or listed?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM

You are right it isn't easy to find on there. Here it is on the hiking safety page: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/hikingsafety.htm

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM

You know, I had even Googled GSMP emergency phone number and got a link to a page talking about the park's EMT service and there was a number listed for making a donation to their EMT fund, but nothing for an actual emergency. Also nothing other than instructions on how to stay safe or plan for an emergency in the camping or fishing sections. They even say something about knowing exactly where you are when you call for help, but don't list the number to call. It was pretty darned frustrating!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM

You can rent those Spot personal satellite devices here:
http://www.lowergear.com/product.php/id/261

But if you go solo often, buying one is less than 4 rentals.

If you are counting on your phone - Verizon has towers at Gatlinburg, Pitman Center, and Bryson City; AT&T's are considerably further. I would buy a $15 - $20 prepaid with Verizon if you are on another carrier.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Has anyone seen or used the Delorme Earthmate PN60 with Spot?

http://www.delorme.com/

I have and use the spot but wonder about if this PN 60 would be a good thing.

Santa, that DRT sounds like a BAD thing....

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."