Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Keep it simple

Call the 911 central dispatch for that county you are visiting. They can even call the operator and say they want top be connected to 911 in XYZ county, TN/NC. The NPS is all part of the local 911 network/emergency response. They work very closely with local/county/state police, ema's and rescue personnel. Don't make the emergency plan more complicated with a bunch of numbers leaving the caller trying to figure out which to call. 911 central dispatch has all the necessary contacts. That should be the first and most important call. If they then want to follow up with other numbers then fine, do so after 911.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM

I agree with Hoosier if you have a cell and it works then call 911 yourself. What I think Santa is planning on doing from readint this post is what I do which is to leave the info on the place he is going with loved ones and let them call if he doesn't return at a certain time or date. I don't think it is a bad idea. In this case if your relative hasn't heard from you at the time you specified they should not panic as it isn't an emergency at that point. They should calmly call and let the park know that you are overdue and they will take it from there.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 09-22-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Has anyone seen or used the Delorme Earthmate PN60 with Spot?

http://www.delorme.com/

I have and use the spot but wonder about if this PN 60 would be a good thing.

Santa, that DRT sounds like a BAD thing....
Hadn't seen that before, looks pretty cool.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM

I don't know if this is the best thing or not, but this I what I do.

I leave my wife a very detailed note about where I am going. The stream, the trail, and where I will be parked.

An approximate time she can expect an "I'm okay" phone call.

The number to local Sheriff's Dept. and the number to appropriate ranger station, GSMNP, National Forest, etc.

If it's a sketchy area I am fishing, I will also tell her to call Transylwader or Oldman and read them the note because they will know exactly where I am. They could assist the authorities in identifying my likely location if needed, much more than my wife can.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Who is Transylwader? Just kidding ifish4 I read the other forum too. Liked the pics when you guys went to the gold mine creek.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks, man. We had a blast on that trip.

The Goldmine is a prime example of a place that's not wise to go alone. If I did, that's why I would have her call him. He can tell the rangers exactly where I am, even give them GPS coordinates of my likely starting/stopping point.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM

I think Santa is on that forum too maybe cause I saw a similar thread over there to this one. If anyone doesn't know what forum we are talking about it is southeastern fly fishing forum you can find it through google. Hopefully Byron won't get mad from me mentioning it cause I see links back from there to here sometimes. From reading both forums it seems like this one is frequented more by the TN folks and that one to the NC folks. I like reading about all the blue ridge parkway area fishing though that intrigues me.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
I don't know if this is the best thing or not, but this I what I do.

I leave my wife a very detailed note about where I am going. The stream, the trail, and where I will be parked.

An approximate time she can expect an "I'm okay" phone call.

The number to local Sheriff's Dept. and the number to appropriate ranger station, GSMNP, National Forest, etc.

If it's a sketchy area I am fishing, I will also tell her to call Transylwader or Oldman and read them the note because they will know exactly where I am. They could assist the authorities in identifying my likely location if needed, much more than my wife can.
While I don't know Transylwader or Oldman, I do tell my wife to call a fishing or kayaking buddy with about the same info. I think calling 911 would be a bit over the top (until it got really late), and I know rescues don't happen much at night in the Smokies. By the other hand, I know my friends will head my way dark or not, and will be more familiar with access points etc. The last thing I would want would be thousands of dollars being spent on a rescue that didn't need to happen. If you have any good friends like ifish4wldtrt and I do, I will be happy to give you, or anyone else that frequents this board my info, and would even go chasing after you if you are on the TN side of the Park.

And when I'm heading to a really sketchy area, I even give one of my "superfriends" a heads up to be on call to come rescue me
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 AM

Ghostbusters! Oh wait...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Default The "Official" Answer

All - After spending an uneventful afternoon in the park yesterday, this morning I called the Director of our local 911 call center to ask him how they would prefer that this be handled. He said that you should go ahead and call 911 (which will connect you to your local dispatch center), provide them with as much information as you can (who they're looking for, where they went, what kind of vehicle they were driving, vehicle's tag #, etc.), and they would in turn forward the information to the appropriate agency at the other location. The local authorities would then act as the liaison between the family and the searchers in case additional information is needed.

So there you have it. I guess your local 911 call center is better connected than I was giving them credit for.