Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-27-2010, 01:28 PM

We gotta nip this thing in the bud!

Last edited by flyman; 09-27-2010 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: never go to bed mad, stay up plotting your revenge :)
Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Yeah I think common sense should tell you that most perpetrators won't walk 3 miles to kill someone for a fly rod (even a winston). They are usually pretty darn lazy. Now being close to the trailhead you would be more likely to encounter such a situation although probably far less likely than a walmart parking lot. That being said I have a carry permit but my fly rod is only worth $200 so they can have it. I will even give them some nymphs to use. If they are on the little river trail attacking people for fishing gear then I think they probably need it more than I do.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Yea, lets get those poachers Who knows, the 2 poachers could be armed as well, what now? Make the call, leave the heroics to law enforcement. Bad people scare me, scared people with guns terrify me

One scared person with a gun that I know is the 78 year old lady who lives up the street and has said that she would shoot through the door if she thought somebody was trying to break in...but then she wants me to come to help her in that case.....yeah,sure.
I carry for my self defense,but I'll leave the super hero stuff to the cops...anywhere.
People who do carry have to be very careful when intervening in a bad situation when they're not directly involved...it's a sticky situation at best.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
People who do carry have to be very careful when intervening in a bad situation when they're not directly involved...it's a sticky situation at best.
Yep, wouldn't touch that one with a 10' pole. Myself and my family only. In fact, I couldn't even use deadly force to protect "stuff". Any of my "stuff" they can have as long as they are not threatening harm or endangering my family or myself.

I especially wouldn't want to get involved in someone else's fight. Nothing good can come from that.

As in the old Allman Bros. song - "It's not my cross to bear."

Jeff
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 PM

I gotta disagree, at least for myself.
I could never stand by and allow someone else, especially a child, lady or someone elderly, to be robbed or hurt or worse, by some scumbag. Sure I'd protect myself and my family, but I could not say that is all. To stand by idle while something bad is happening to someone else and I could do something to stop it...well....I guess I'd better not say that here. Even if I wasn't armed, I couldn't just stand there and not help someone innocent.
Mark 1:17
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
We gotta nip this thing in the bud!
When did they deputize you? They must be desperate on the other side of the mountain.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Darrin--I pretty much agree, although in truth none of us know (and hopefully will never have to know) precisely how we would react in such a tenuous situation. I know one thing for sure though--I couldn't live with myself and my conscience if I stood by and watched something tragic transpire.
That perspective, a sort of "it's none of my concern" outlook, is to me one of the most roubling things about the world in which we live.
Going back 40-50 years, in the time and place where I grew up and reached adulthood, staunch local citizens would never, ever have turned a blind eye. In that same place, in today's world, they all too often do.
We are or should be our brother's keeper. Not when it comes to nosiness or personal issues, but on matters of kindness, decency, civilized behavior, and what is right.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks Jim. We apparently feel the same way.

I know this is drifting off the original topic, but I have personal experience with someone helping, unexpectedly.

I am a law enforcement officer by trade. One night about 15 years ago, in the wee hours of the morning, I was attempting to arrest a hopped-up-on dope guy in a parking lot of a gas station. This guy felt no pain and we were in an all-out fight. I was getting winded and tired and doing my best to get this guy under control and in handcuffs. I finally managed to get him down and on top of him when out of nowhere I heard a voice behind me say "I'll help you". I looked around, my uniform half torn off, to see a man approaching, holding his hands up. He said again, "I'll help you if you want". I said "Yes!". This guy jumped right in and fought right with me to get this guy in handcuffs. If this fella had not came along, saw the fight and stopped to help, this might have really turned ugly. After we got the guy secured in the back of my cruiser, the man stuck his hand out and I shook his hand. I was completely out of breath. He walked to his truck, got inside and left. I never found out his name or who he was. But I was danged sure glad to see him offer his help to me! I would have liked to bought his breakfast or something, but he left before I could find out anything. I realize he probably saw I was a Officer and what was going on, but by his willingness to help, I feel he would have done it anyhow for someone innocent or helpless, like a woman, child, etc.
My kinda fella.
Mark 1:17
Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
I gotta disagree, at least for myself.
I could never stand by and allow someone else, especially a child, lady or someone elderly, to be robbed or hurt or worse, by some scumbag. Sure I'd protect myself and my family, but I could not say that is all. To stand by idle while something bad is happening to someone else and I could do something to stop it...well....I guess I'd better not say that here. Even if I wasn't armed, I couldn't just stand there and not help someone innocent.
Darrin,
In a case that is obvious, yes. However, without knowing the facts, you could end up on the wrong side of the law in a hurry. An example that was given when I went through the concealed carry training was one guy beating up another guy with a club. At the obvious pain being inflicted you step in to break it up. The guy with the stick pulls a gun and you shoot. You later find out the guy with the gun was an undercover police officer and the guy getting hit was wanted on felony drug charges and the police officer was in fact defending his live from this wanted felon. You just landed in jail.

You see a man and woman fighting and from where you sit, it looks like the man is trying to kidnap the child. You step in to protect the woman and child. The man pulls some type of weapon and you shoot him. Later, you find there was a restraining order against the woman for child endangerment and the man was, in fact, trying to prevent the woman from harming his child. You will be the one who goes to jail.

Unless it is you who is being threatened and you're protecting your own life or that of your family or someone with you, getting involved in someone elses' fight and using deadly force can become a very slippery slope.

In these cases, as much as our human emotions may scream, it's better to contact the police.

In cases where it's obvious, yes, but all is not always the way it seems and what you thought was a good deed, could in fact, be the wrong thing to do.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM

I saw no fewer than five adults bait fishing in the park today on Little River in plain view of anyone who cared to drive by.