Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't think there will ever be a resolution to the problem of bait fishermen & poaching in the park. Post the laws & change the regulations all you want, but when it comes down to it, the park is never going to have enough money to provide the manpower for effective enforcement. With the park being the most visited park in the country, it starts to boil down to a priority system. So little time and personnel, with so much traffic, several large campgrounds, children's programs, other rules & regulations to be enforced, and so on and so forth....park personnel have to determine what is priority, and I doubt searching the river banks for anyone who might be using an illegal method of fishing is very high on the ole' Totem Pole. It's just one of those crappy things that we have to deal with.

There is however a few things you can do to make yourself feel better about the situation. Every time you go to the park, forget about the bait fishermen, your job, politics, finances, or anything else that bothers you during your everyday life. Look at your surroundings and think about how great your country is and how fortunate we are to have such a beautiful place to spend our free time.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Ooops, 2weight's post was not up when I posted, or I would have just kept my mouth shut. Silvercreek
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM

When I first started fishing in the Park 50 years ago the enforcement of regulations by the rangers was a given....the penalties were a hefty fine, confiscation of all your tackle and you were banned from fishing for a year....I worked for 95 cents an hour those summers to buy my gear and the thought of losing it ensured I followed the rules...even back then I can remember finding illegal lures and bait hooks lost in the rhodos along the large pools of Fish Camp Prong...it is a problem that will always be with us I guess...I know the campgrounds have volunteers who help with regulations....wonder if the same could be accomplished with fishing regulations or have donations collected to be earmarked just for such enforcement personnel...
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Bait = Litter

Allowing bait in the park would bring in unwanted litter like metal cans and plastic bags . Bait users have a habit of leaving their containers along the riverbank. Pretty soon it would be the Great Smoky Mountain Landfill.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

2 more on Little River yesterday. Hole hopping and yanking them out to place in a plastic bag.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 AM

While I don't agree with poaching or breaking rules in the park, I often wonder if the poaching might actually help improve the fishing. I'm not talking about people seining the river but the people who are keeping more than their limit or keeping their limit but using illegal tactics. It seems like most reports from biologists say that the reason fish are small in the park is because there are too many fish and not enough food. Most of us are catch and release fisherman so do you think that the poaching might actually balance out the numbers? Just something I think about from time to time after releasing six inch rainbows one after the other wondering where the 10" to 12" fish are. I'm not usually fishing the road side streams so it might be a different story than the back country streams I usually fish.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyg View Post
2 more on Little River yesterday. Hole hopping and yanking them out to place in a plastic bag.

Did you get license plate number or contact a ranger?

I still think starting a thread here listing descriptions, license plates of cars and people that are doing this sort of thing would be a good thing, (even pictures, if possible) so that we as a community can know who to be on the look out for, and possibly help rangers with enforcement.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Did you get license plate number or contact a ranger?

I still think starting a thread here listing descriptions, license plates of cars and people that are doing this sort of thing would be a good thing, (even pictures, if possible) so that we as a community can know who to be on the look out for, and possibly help rangers with enforcement.
White Oldsmobile, father-son team, candidates for East TN's next Biggest Loser participants...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
Joefred, i think your idea is a tad bit reddiculous. What about those of us who make our living by fishing the park waters? What would a guide do if he or she had clients who couldnt walk for miles? What about the millions of other people who dont have the physical ability to walk for miles but who still dont want to fish? So what you are saying is the park should only let healthy, in shape, and young people fish... wow, great idea...
twf, I agree. It was a very ridiculous idea. Hey, I can relate. I'm on the back side of Medicare illegibility and, also, such a stupid plan would hurt my fledgling map business. Just trying to stir some thinking.

Putting their other incentives aside, I wonder what, if anything, about the Park fish themselves would cause bait fisherman to take a chance on getting caught? Is the goal to catch wild trout?? For the taste??

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-03-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I'm still confused. Is it the otters or the poachers why I can't catch any fish? I just got my carry permit and want to know who to release my anger at.
Ducky,
I can't say about you, but I can say for sure what the problem is with me. I need to fish the streams more and better.

On a very good day, I'll catch 10-15 fish. On an average day, I'll land 4 or 5 and on a not so productive day, I have a great time being in the mountains and enjoying the day.

I think I'll just start blaming the otters and be done with it.

Jeff