Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Trout Sashimi?

I have a book that has a lot of trout recipes in it, and one that caught my eye was trout sashimi. I'm pretty interested in trying this on a fresh mountain trout, but an internet search seems to indicate that no freshwater fish are safe to eat raw due to tapeworms. Anyone here tried this? Anyone have any hard information on whether coldwater trout in high elevations have parasites like this? I knew a guy in Texas that would eat whitebass sashimi as he caught them, and Im sure he's got something nasty in his guts, and I would never eat warmwater fish raw, but my first inclination would be that fish from coldwater might not be as susceptible?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:06 PM

I would freeze trout first, to help kill of any tapeworms, but that may change the texture of the meat too much.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM

I saw bear grylls sp? or one of those guys on a discovery channel surival show "tickle" for trout once and when he caught it by means of tickling he pulled it out of the water and bit its head off and spit it out. Then he ate it raw. I am not sure if I would try it but give us a report if you do. I usually only get california roll from the kroger off of northshore.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM

Yeah Im sure Bear goes home and takes a big dose of antibiotics and various other things after the show too! Ive read about freezing the fish to kill off the worms, but that wouldnt be too conducive to having that fresh streamside sashimi. If it weren't for the fact that it was in a book written by some fairly well known guys, Rick Greenspan and Hal Kahn, I wouldnt think twice. But they seem to think its good stuff. It's one of those things where, yes Im sure there is a risk, but how great is it? There is a risk of getting salmonella from your store bought eggs too, as we saw recently with the huge recall, but usually its not that great. If the risk from eating trout raw is relatively small, I would love to try it. I'll keep doing my homework till I get the guts to try it.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews

For what it's worth, the last time I ate a wild-caught trout, it came from the Clinch. It was a decent sized fish, maybe 17", so I killed only the one. When I opened it up, I found a bunch of esophageal worms around the inside of its gut. I cooked and ate it but man, it gave me the heeby-jeebies.

Zach
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Eating raw trout in a survival situation may be wise, but I wouldn't try it just for fun. The good news is that you can get rid of a tape worm if you get one. The bad news is you may not realize it until the thing is friggin huge.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachMatthews View Post
For what it's worth, the last time I ate a wild-caught trout, it came from the Clinch. It was a decent sized fish, maybe 17", so I killed only the one. When I opened it up, I found a bunch of esophageal worms around the inside of its gut. I cooked and ate it but man, it gave me the heeby-jeebies.

Zach

YUM. JAY - if you do decide to go ahead with this plan, wait til I can go with you because now I definitely want to watch.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Maybe you should start with a nice ceviche and work your way up to the fresh sashimi ;-)

Regardless, trout are readily available to the culinary world, and you NEVER find trout on the menu in sushi bars... food for thought.