Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Default 9/25 wplp

Thought I might try posting a fishing report, kinda of a rare thing now days.

Fished the WPLP below the Chimneys Picnic area. (too much detail?). I had a pretty good day, the fish were aggressively hitting dries (parachute adams). I only fished around 3 hrs., caught around 15, with several being around the ten inch range. The average size was probably the largest I have ever tallied in a day on the WPLP (8"). The fish were very healthy looking, great colors and the larger ones put up a good account of themselves on my 9', 3/4 weight fly rod. It was especially nice since I built this rod around 6 yrs ago, always sweet to have a good day on a rod of your own making. Sorry, no pics today, I decide to follow Nduncan lead and protect the innocent fish

Neal
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM

My son and his family got to make an impromtu visit to Chimneys picnic area the same day. He was disappointed he didn't have his flyrod with him. So were his boys. After hearing of your success, he'll really be envious. Day wasn't a total loss. They made the most of the go kart tracks down in the valley. I'd rather not say where exactly.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-26-2010 at 04:48 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for report
those of us living vicariously through the reports appreciate it

IF glad you didn't post the specific tracks- got to save the go carts!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Oh my goodness, he mentioned a stream name. Better go say the Yellow Sally Stonefly's Scientific name 10 times and tie 15 blood knots as penance.

Seriously, thanks for the report. For those of us stuck in places that are not in the Smoky Mtns. it's good to hear about someone else catching fish.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Jeff,

I haven't been posting many fishing reports, but I have always been a contrarian. Gets me in plenty of trouble, but I am too old to change now. Expect more reports in the future. I plan on heading to Deep Creek next week to try out a new tent and hopefully catch a few browns.

Neal
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks for sharing, glad you got to get out and enjoy this weekend. I'm lookign forward to an upcoming trip next week along the parkway, may venture on down into the smokies for a couple of days.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Jeff,

I haven't been posting many fishing reports, but I have always been a contrarian. Gets me in plenty of trouble, but I am too old to change now. Expect more reports in the future. I plan on heading to Deep Creek next week to try out a new tent and hopefully catch a few browns.

Neal
Neal, any report you have on that would be much appreciated, I am planning on heading to deep creek the following week..
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Guys,
First, I was just having a little fun with one of the other threads about naming streams.

I do appreciate the reports. Even though I can't come to the mountains and fish more than a couple times a year, the reports and photos help me feel connected.

I really enjoy reading the reports, seeing the pictures and yes seeing the stream names. I've fished a lot of the streams and the names and photos bring back so many fond memories of times spent on the same (or nearby) stream.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Neal, any report you have on that would be much appreciated, I am planning on heading to deep creek the following week..
Matt,

I see you're from Springsboro, OH. I am from Wapakoneta, OH, haven't lived there since the mid 90's when I decided to go to college. Do you fish the Mad River? Caught my first trout in the mid 70's on a salmon egg near the ski area. I fished the Mad with a fly rod for the first time around 4 years ago, and did pretty decent. I wish it was closer, as it is still a special place for me, many good memories. My email is pineman19@yahoo.com if you need any assistance. I am not a flyfishing pro, but I have fished most of the major streams in the Smokies over the last 15 years.

Neal
Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM

[threadjack]

Hi Neal,

I have been back in Ohio for 2 years now. I fished the Mad above and below the route 55 bridge quite a few times this Spring and early Summer. It has been a dry and hot year, so I haven't made the trip up to Urbana since June. Clear Fork is where I got my fly fishing start while in college at Ohio State.

I appreciate you offering assistance!

-Matt-

[/threadjack]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Matt,

I see you're from Springsboro, OH. I am from Wapakoneta, OH, haven't lived there since the mid 90's when I decided to go to college. Do you fish the Mad River? Caught my first trout in the mid 70's on a salmon egg near the ski area. I fished the Mad with a fly rod for the first time around 4 years ago, and did pretty decent. I wish it was closer, as it is still a special place for me, many good memories. My email is pineman19@yahoo.com if you need any assistance. I am not a flyfishing pro, but I have fished most of the major streams in the Smokies over the last 15 years.

Neal