Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Default october destination

Coming out the second week of October for the fall break from school. My son and I are thinking about heading to Greenbriar area or above the treemont area. With the lower water levels, is this a good choice of areas or are we way off base? Any help would be greatly appreciated. flyguys. p.s. judging from our past excursions, the fish in these areas will not be threatened in any way, shape, matter or form!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM

flyguys,

IMO streams like the Greenbriar and the WPLP fish pretty well during lower water levels (see my post on WPLP 9/25). I have had many of my best days during lower water levels on these streams. They are much easier to wade, drag is less of an issue and the fish are easier to find. Personally, I prefer Greenbriar over Tremont, especially since Lynn Camp is still closed to fishing. I would prefer fishing the Greenbriar watershed over Tremont in lower water conditions, especially if you're willing to do some walking and fish the upper Greenbriar.

Neal
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 AM

A decent amount of much needed rain is on the way, so low water might not be a problem, even into the second week of October. Streams will be rising over the next few days. I'd say the rivers would be right around normal. Streamers will then be the go-to fly.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks neal and tyler, I appreciate the advice on all things posted on this board. flyguys