Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Default Wild Brookies in WNC

When the opportunity came for me to take off to the wild streams, I took it! Left early this morning bound for the wild streams. I was a little apprehensive about the impending cold front inching closer and closer. Heavy rain and t'storms were forecasted for this afternoon in that area. Didn't want to get caught in the midst of a severe t'storm with a long hike ahead of me.

Greeted by a refreshing slap in the face [by long forgotten cool air], I began the day. The wild streams were extremely low. Haven't seen this particular stream this low before. Almost unreal. Seemed as if the brookies were migrating downstream in an attempt to find more water. The extreme headwaters were completely dried up. I found wild brookies in the main river, where wild rainbows were expected to be the main attraction. This drought has really hit us hard. With that being said, the fishing wasn't so bad. Stealth is the best weapon an angler can use on low, gin clear trout streams like these. Today was tough. If it wasn't for trout-tolerate temperatures in the low 70's up there, I probably wouldn't have fished at all.

Fell short of an Appalachian Slam (1 brook, 1 brown, and 1 rainbow). Checked the first two off the list, but the most widespread trout in NC, the rainbow, eluded me on this trip.

Clouds ahead of the cold front override the highest mountains in the eastern US, the Black Mtns.

The future...

The South Toe at 9.7 cfs... Scary...

A South Toe wild brown.

The first t'storm in about a month (or more) ran me off the river. I'm not bummed out about it at all. It was a welcome sight to see rain falling from the sky. More to come. Now we just sit back and watch the rivers rise instead of fall.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM

I would be inclined to agree that crik is a might low.

Glad you caught some. Hopefully there will be some water by Tuesday when I go trout hunting.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Glad you made it out this weekend Tyler, its been a while since we've heard from you. I fished over near Hot Springs all weekend, and while nowhere near as bad as the black mtns, the area got some much needed rain this afternoon.

That picture of the south toe is very scary....surprised you were able to find a pool to fish, let alone a willing brown.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 PM

It has been a while! I've had computer issues lately. Couldn't post on the forum. Don't know what happened. Switched to a new browser and it seems to be running fine. Hope it stays that way!

The rivers around here were making me nervous. It was almost impossible to sneak up on these fish. A #16 Elk Hair Caddis landing softly on the water spooked them a mile upstream.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM

Glad you were able to get out.
The headwaters up here are bad...you were almost in my backyard! I went up ST last week and when I saw the stream and headwaters, I just turned around and left. Pitifully low. Hopefully the rain we're getting now will help the water base in these hollers. That 9.7 cfs reading comes w-a-y down river near Celo. The headwaters probably would not even register!
Mark 1:17
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Great report Tarheel,

Looks like you should be getting some more rain today in West NC, sure looks like you needed it even worse than East TN. Luv the colors on those specs and browns. I have been wanting to fish the Pisgah for a few years now, next year I need to make it happen. It's a beautiful forest and I need to explore some new waters.

Neal
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM

We've had a decent amount of rain over here in WNC. Might squeeze out another inch or two by tomorrow morning.