Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Does anyone fish the Tellico River often?....need some assistance

Hey guys,

I visit this site almost everyday reading up on everyones advice, your guys advice is always helpful. But today instead of being a passive reader, I'm seeking some help.

Generally I'm a pretty patient guy, but here recently I've begun to get rather frustrated with how slowly my fly fishing skills have been developing. I first picked up a fly rod 1 1/2 yrs ago and just absolutely loved it. Since then I really have tried my best to learn the skills needed and knowledge to be a successful angler. I've taken casting lessons, read every magazine I can get my hands on, watch every youtube video, read books, bought DVD's, even hired a couple guides to help accelerate the learning process and develop good techniques/habits. But still having trouble getting bites. Now I know the one thing that I'm missing is experience but I still feel that I should be performing a bit better than I am considering that I have been fishing nearly every weekend since picking up that fly rod the first time.

Now as I writing this email, I feel like I whining. And I hope thats not how I'm coming off, I completely enjoy every trip on the river. I love everything about it. I love the preparation for the trip, I love the drive from Chattanooga to Tellico, I love being in the mountains and witnessing the change of the seasons. But I want to develop a better knowledge of how the river works and how trout behave but I feel that I still missing something.

Now because I live in Chattanooga the only rivers that I can frequent often are the Hiwassee and the Tellico. Now I know that these are stock rivers.....I don't care. I think their gorgeous and I love visiting them, if I had a river that had wild trout nearby I would go there but I don't have that option.

But I was hoping to find someone that frequents the Tellico River often and would like to pass along some of that knowledge to a eager newbie. Really, I would love to just follow someone around and just watch them fish. I would like to see someone with a lot more experience that me approaches a run, how they position themselves along that run, how much time that spend before moving to the next area.....etc, etc, etc.

If anyone would be interested, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 AM

I like the tellico, it just gets pounded and seems the fish are taken out as soon as they are put in. Have you fished it during the delayed harvest in the winter? I have found the deeper(more weight), the better. Big buggy nymphs fished deep.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Josh,

You have a lot more options than you think. Send me an email and I can help you out. I don't want to advertise on here. As for your skills, if we could meet one more time I can show you some tricks and techniques. It's not your casting, I think I know what you need. I'm going to the HI this Saturday for TU's event. Send me an email for more details.

Hans
Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM

I just picked up the hobby a few months ago and i live in Chattanooga too. I'm a bigger newbie than you so I might not be much help but I'd love to find another fishing partner.

I'm curious to know of the other options in the area as well that tennswede mentioned. I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
....I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...ut/sched10.pdf

PS I should have some mid-week days coming up to drift the HI. If my regular partners can't make it, I will be posting that I have an open seat.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
I just picked up the hobby a few months ago and i live in Chattanooga too. I'm a bigger newbie than you so I might not be much help but I'd love to find another fishing partner.

I'm curious to know of the other options in the area as well that tennswede mentioned. I know they stock the North Chick creek up in Soddy Daisy a few times a year but that's about it.
Ben,

Send an email to ahlstedt@knology.net and I can give you some directions.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I'm going to the HI this Saturday for TU's event.

Thanks for the invite Hans. I have some friends in town this weekend so I may or may not be able to attend this weekend. But I will send you an email.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 PM

benintenn, sounds good. Email me at jcrowder2020@gmail.com and we can find a time to meet up.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 PM

I like the tellico, it just gets pounded and seems the fish are taken out as soon as they are put in. Have you fished it during the delayed harvest in the winter? I have found the deeper(more weight), the better. Big buggy nymphs fished deep.

Hey it gets pounded, but still feel like I'm missing a lot of opportunities.

Delayed Harvest.....thats why I think I became so frustrated. Went out this past Sunday which was the first weekend of delayed harvest. Weather was good, water temp great, and not another angler to be seen all day. Sounds good, right? Well, I only caught 3 with a full day of fishing and one of them I didn't even know I hooked until I tried to pull the fly out of the water to cast again. And as far as nymphs I spent most of the day nymphing with a 16 BH Prince Nymph or a something that looks like a copper john but with red wire.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Well, Josh, three is not that bad. I was there Friday and caught 3 myself and lost probably 3 more in three, four hours of fishing. Sometimes it's not the numbers but the guality. They stock it for DH, but with less numbers than for the permit season. Also, it takes a week or so for the fish to spread out some. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but there are days when even the most seasoned fisherman won't catch much. The reality is that a lot of them don't want to admit it. Patience will pay off and if you are used to the catchrate from Hiwassee where there are tons of fish, Tellico will be a disappontment to you. There are some wild fish in Tellico but you need to get up higher for most of those.