Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

I like fishing Tellico myself.

On the main river, I would fish big weighted nymphs down lower. As you get up closer to the North River, I would fish a dry dropper rig.

I usually have good success with a caddis dry and a tellico nymph dropper.

Scott
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM

4eyes -- I used to fish Tellico with a friend quite a bit for several yrs. Our experience was that fly-fishing was much better in the stretches between the rearing pools and Big Oak Cove Camp ground than lower down. Lot of water there, but we hit the flats / riffles with Stimulators / Caddis flies and the deeper pocket water with princes, copper johns, Tellicos and dark stonefly nymphs. After 3-4 yrs of fishing the Tellico, our conclusion was that fish in that big stretch seemed to take flies better than below the rearing pools. There seemed to be more hold-overs and occasional wild trout in that section. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM

I like to fish the Tellico in the winter when pressure is off. Personally, I have had my best days on the tributaries. Get a good map and start fishing the blue lines.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 PM

The DH can be hit and miss, and I wonder if the river has even been stocked yet for the DH. I was up there on Saturday as well and saw few or no fish in the usual stocking spots. Last year the DH on the Tellico fished very well, so I wouldn't give up on it yet.

That said, I usually fish the tributaries. Consider giving those a shot. Had a great day Saturday on a trib catching wild rainbows and even a couple of browns on dry flies. Stay low and be stealthy, and you should pick up a few fish.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM

It is stocked, however at lower numbers than the permit season stocking. I caught three stockers Friday October 1st.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM

I was down that way yesterday and saw a few guys with fly rods who looked like they were having some luck just above "Baby Falls".

I also saw some people carrying worm containers around, who I doubt intended on participating in the Delayed Harvest regulations.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
It is stocked, however at lower numbers than the permit season stocking. I caught three stockers Friday October 1st.
Not saying that there aren't any stockers in the Tellico right now. There definitely are. There just aren't nearly as many fish in the river as in previous DH seasons. At least in the stretches of the river that I have frequented over the past several years. So I'm just wondering if the stocking for the DH has started in earnest yet, or if the bulk if the stocking will take place after the water temps drop a bit and, hopefully, we get some rain to bring the river levels up.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Smile My fragment of knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I was down that way yesterday and saw a few guys with fly rods who looked like they were having some luck just above "Baby Falls".

I also saw some people carrying worm containers around, who I doubt intended on participating in the Delayed Harvest regulations.

I thought I recognized the picture of suislide in your post. I'm wanting to kayak and fish that stretch for a while now

I haven't fished the Tellico much (in fact only fish it when I'm there to kayak already), but have had good success right above Baby Falls if you wade over to small island and fish the far side. If you want to outsmart the baitchunkers A- You should go up there on a Thursday and watch where the stocking truck dumps them - And B - Look for places that you have to wade to, or on opposite side of river than the road where the baitchunkers are unwilling to go. I have a buddy that has one of the camper things up there who fishes it a bunch and he likes above the hatchery like others have suggested.

While the fish were niced sized, it was the first river where I came to the realization of why some people only like catching wild fish. While every now and again I got a good fighter that was probably a holdover, most fish were like reeling in dead weight, making a 4 inch rainbow in the park seem much more appealing

Has anyone fished Wildcat? I lost my wedding ring in there after a bad swim while kayaking, and that would be a good excuse to go fishingFeel free to e-mail me privately if you feel that's more appropiate
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM

The DH can be hit and miss, and I wonder if the river has even been stocked yet for the DH

I just based it on my interpretation of this statement. I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I do think it has beeen stocked, like it was last year. I had several on along with the ones I caught Friday. I just think it takes a week or two for the fish to disperse a little.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Default thanks everyone

Thanks guys for all the great tips and encouragement.

Baby Falls? I'm not sure where this is? Is that the little waterfall right beside the hachery?

Typically how far past the hackery will you fish? Seems like the water gets pretty shallow and skinny. Still any fish up there? I always figured that the folks that stocked the river probably put the fish in the deeper water down river of the hachery.

Again, I would love to join somebody for a day on the Tellico to help share with me some of your tips and tactics for success on the Tellico. If interested PM me or email me at jcrowder2020@gmail.com

Cheers.