Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Hooky Trip

I woke up yesterday morning and decided that I was sick of working, so I called my boss and told him I was sick. 30 minutes later, I was on the road to the national forest, and one of my favorite freestone streams. I got to the trailhead around 9am. The parking area was empty. The air was still a chilly 44 degrees outside, so I had to wear a jacket on my hike in. The weather was perfect with a nice fall breeze all day long. I even noticed a few early leaf changes.

My catch rate was fairly low because of all the stubborn decisions I made throughout the day (not hiking far enough, tying on what I wanted them to eat, etc). I only managed 8 fish all day, but it was still a perfect day on the water, & way better than working.

I fished deep nymphs in holes like this....

Caught some of these fellas....

I had brought my dog Annabelle with me, and due to her old age, she started to get tired shortly after noon. She had slipped into some whitewater, climbed several waterfalls, & swam across some deep pools. We called it quits around 2:00 and enjoyed a beautiful hike out.

I finished a perfect day off with a fitting beverage while un-packing and relaxing by the trailhead.

Everyone needs a "sick day" every now & again.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Grannyknot shame on you calling in sick to work!

Now where is that stream again... j/k

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Hear, Hear....how about a photo of your trusty companion....wish I could take my pup along with me but......
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Hear, Hear....how about a photo of your trusty companion....wish I could take my pup along with me but......
Here she is. Half the reason I don't go to the park that often is because I can't take my best fishin buddy along.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Good looking fishing buddy....know she enjoys being with you as much as you enjoy having her.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM

My dog hates water. I solved the work problem. I retired 13 months ago!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up Good Day to Be Sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I woke up yesterday morning and decided that I was sick of working, so I called my boss and told him I was sick.

Everyone needs a "sick day" every now & again.
Well, you could say that you were sick of work I never question an opportunity to rejuvenate the soul. Nice pics and that is a beautiful dog! Also, Sierra Nevada is always a good finish!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Nice report and enjoyed the pics. Here in North Carolina you can take your dog fishing in the National Forest but you are required to kept it on a lease no longer than 20 ft. or risk getting ticketed.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Nice report and enjoyed the pics. Here in North Carolina you can take your dog fishing in the National Forest but you are required to kept it on a lease no longer than 20 ft. or risk getting ticketed.
While that may be the written rule, I've come to find out that most rangers care more about restraint and behavior than the length of a leash. Annabelle is very familiar with Pisgah & parts of Nantahala. Two of the rangers in the grandfather district knew her by name.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 AM

Default dogs in the national park

I now have a hunting, fishing and general traveling friend of the four legged variety. Annie is a five month old black Lab who loves the water. I have a pretty severe hearing disability which in the past has contributed to bears getting pretty close while park fishing. I knew dogs were not allowed on most park trails and must be leashed but my circumstances are somewhat different so I stopped at the Sugarlands visitor center for clarification on dogs in the park rules and was told only "official" service dogs could go anywhere in the park. An official service dog has a garment/harness of sorts on declaring them so and a document (what this was I was never told by the rangers at the information desk) in the owners possession stating such. When I asked why the rules were so restrictive on dogs I was told bears would attack dogs as prey. Uh, buddy, bears are hunted with dogs. Most would flee a large dog, not attack it especially with its owner raising cane to boot. And aren't you concerned about service dog attacks? No because there aren't that many entering the park. Okay so now I am trying to find out what it takes to get training for Annie as a service dog but I know the answer to that one before I start; lots of money. Path of least resistance is spend more time elsewhere. That's okay grouse season is just around the corner.

My brother and I hiked to White Oak Sinks via School House Gap on Wednesday stepping over horse dung along the way. I couldn't help thinking dogs don't make near the mess horses do. Perhaps if bears would pick on horses more often ......