Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Default Cumberland report 10-9/10-10

Was swayed by the prediction of low flows last weekend, some of the lowest since earlier in the year, so instead of the clinch (which seems like a mistake now) i opted for the cumberland. Well, the major problem was the water clarity.. it was awful... just awful. It was something i noticed on a trip earlier this year. Talked to a local down there and i'm under the same belief w/ him that the lake draw down has exposed a lot of dirt and mud combined w/ the occasional rain dumping has created a lot of sediment runoff.. thus settling low in the lake and releasing through the sluice gates(just a guess}? I only really managed a few fish in two days because of the water qaulity, but through a stroke of pure luck of literally putting the fly on his nose i guess, i landed a 22inch brown?! here's a link to a pic... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9283711&ref=mf
So,that all being said i'll heed the messages on this board about the clinch and make sure to opt to head further south to ya'lls great state for fly fishing. Thanks for all the great and informative posts..... Matt
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM

sure miss fishing the cumberland, hard to believe how bad it has been last couple of years. just
wounder will it ever fish again as before dam repair. spent several yrs. learning the river had some great days there, never forget the cacada hatch 3 summer ago what fishing that was. the 1st.trip i ever made was great ,never saw the number of big trout as i saw and caught that day. hooked for life i thought didn't fish anywhere else for 7 yrs.[ no where else could measure up] sad to think how it is now. bought jet boat just for the cumberland . i haven't used it in 2 yrs. no need to cry over spilt milk .just have to fish local tailwaters and be happy and make more trips to the White [ had some great days there this year.] the drive is just so long.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
sure miss fishing the cumberland, hard to believe how bad it has been last couple of years. just
wounder will it ever fish again as before dam repair. spent several yrs. learning the river had some great days there, never forget the cacada hatch 3 summer ago what fishing that was. the 1st.trip i ever made was great ,never saw the number of big trout as i saw and caught that day. hooked for life i thought didn't fish anywhere else for 7 yrs.[ no where else could measure up] sad to think how it is now. bought jet boat just for the cumberland . i haven't used it in 2 yrs. no need to cry over spilt milk .just have to fish local tailwaters and be happy and make more trips to the White [ had some great days there this year.] the drive is just so long.
yep Bill, i sure do miss those old days even if it just seems like it was in the not so distant past. I sure do remember the cicada hatch also... big fish on big dries.. awesome! I was actually talking to an older guy down there last weekend and we were having the same discussion about this certain section we both had fished over the years and how one could just pull in fish after fish from 15-20+ inches.. thought i'd found the autonomy of my fly fishing life. My friend and i would have one of those days at helms when i would take breaks because my forearm was too sore.... oh well, afraid to think the worst but we may be right in our thoughts that it may be after the dams repaired.. who knows?!?!
Anyhow, on the upside i do have info that they do still plan to stock brookies and a sterile rainbow( that grows rapidly) sometime around 2012!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Unless something has changed they are supposed to start stocking the Arlee strain of rainbow and the brook trout this coming spring. The hatchery received 200,000 of the rainbow eggs in November of 2009. They also got 25,000 of the brook trout eggs last winter.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Tim View Post
Unless something has changed they are supposed to start stocking the Arlee strain of rainbow and the brook trout this coming spring. The hatchery received 200,000 of the rainbow eggs in November of 2009. They also got 25,000 of the brook trout eggs last winter.
yeah Ky Tim, not sure just got this word of mouth from a local down there. I know they were supposed to stock those even sooner but i think w/ the dam issues they have pushed it back, so who knows... I'm sure you may be right(i hope you are right) but i remain not so optimistic due to the CORE's various outlooks and conflicting information.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:05 PM

I have talked to the research biologist that is in charge of this for KDFWR. I will see if I can get in touch with him next week to find out if there has been a change of plans.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM

thanks, its not too far from me