Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Great post, Zach.

Somewhat along this line of discussion, at TroutFest the NPS Fisheries Management, I think, had a poster at its display which suggested / predicted that under certain circumstances regarding acidity, in 15 years there would be no brook trout in the Smokies at over 4,000 ft elevation and in 25 years, none at over 3,000 feet. I tried to find info on this on the web, but struck out. Can someone share some better info?

JF
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBrookie View Post
Also, some people on here must have really big hands!
That's why I don't carry a tape measure One kinda caught my attention

Years ago all the headwater streams in the Cataloochee watershed were closed to fishing for years. Right after they opened them back up several people I knew were catching 11-12" fish, and if I'm not mistaken I saw a fish Benny Craig caught that was 13 1/2", maybe bigger, that's been a long time ago.

The largest ones I catch now come from the Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness areas. I use to catch some nice ones in the Yellowstone Prong until it became so popular. It is about the only one that isn't halfway a death march to get into and out of.

Last edited by flyman; 10-14-2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM

flyman, your posts are a hoot. I even enjoy your reasons for edits. But I gotta ask, what is reason 42?

JF
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Flyman--Most of the larger specks I have caught come from the same area as yours. They have, however, become fewer in recent years, and not just in Yellowstone Prong.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Default 16" brookie

Last fall I was fishing the Elk River near Elk Springs Resort and caught the largest brookie that I've ever seen. It was probably about 16 or 17 inches. I have a picture, but don't know how to post it. Any suggestions? Also, I'm unsure if this brookie is technically a wild brookie...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM

Yikes!

JF
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Figured it out...let me know what you think. I was absolutely SHOCKED when this guy hit my fly. Do they stock brookies? Could this guy just be an ancient WV native?

Last edited by bias5246; 10-14-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM

bias5246--The coloration strongly suggests this is not a wild speck. Given the time of year you caught it, I would expect far more vibrant colors. The only thing which even gives me pause is that there's no sign of rubbed fins. As for specks being stocked, the answer is yes--in many places, including N. C. trout streams, they are. You don't say which Elk River--there are many of them--and I'm unfamiliar with Elk Springs Resort. The Park has not stocked any type of trout, unless you call transfer of specks stocking, in decades.
Jim Casada
Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Jim-

This is the Elk River near Monterville, WV (close to Snowshoe Mtn resort). The main stream is constantly stocked with Bows and Browns, and I've caught natives in the tributaries. But, this big Brookie was caught in the main part of the stream, and I didn't know if it was native or not. In general, do they still stock brook trout? Are the natives that I catch in the Smokies or small streams in W.Va. native, or were they once stocked?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 PM

bias5246--I suspected this was the stream in question, and I've fished it. The natives in the Smokies and in some WV streams are true natives. One of my fondest memories of WV is interrupting a spring turkey hunting trip there to catch a nice mess of specks and feasting on them along with a big bait of ramps.
However, I have the strongest possible belief that the fish you pictured is a stocker. Again, color tells the tale. A wild speck, or at least every one I've ever caught in the Appalachians, has red spots and the bluish halo around them which are far more vivid than the situation with your photograph. Also, in the season it was caught, there should have been color aplenty along the lower flank and belly.
Jim Casada