Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Default 6 Days Extreme Backcountry Flyfishing

My brother and I just got home from a 6 day 5 night backcountry fly fishing trip and I wanted to post a few pictures from our trip I hope you enjoy.

We started our trip on Thursday October 7th and returned home on October 12th. The weather was absolutely perfect during the days but the nights seemed a little cool for the high altitudes.

The water was a little low and very clear but the fishing was still excellent as long as you stayed low and out of site. We never saw another fisherman the entire time we fished. We both used number 16 simulators in both yellow and orange the entire time. Never even needed to try anything else.

Here is the first location that my brother talked me into putting my hammock. I will have to admit that it looked like a really neat setup but being that close to the water and high up on a point it was really COLD that first night.

Here is a picture of my brother fishing as we started our trip upstream. Notice his new Flyvest.

During our upstream trip this day a bear came out of the woods and started to cross the stream in front of use. The bear stood on his back legs to get a good look before he bolted across the stream and into the woods on the other side. There never was any worries about the bear because my brother was at least 15 to 20 yards closer to the bear then me.

This is not a really great picture but it is a good example of how fat the fish are in this area. My brother caught this rainbow.

At about the same time this day we were sitting on the bank of the creek and watch a Bob cat patroling the opposite side of the bank and never even knew we were there.

Here is a picture of an example of one of the locals. This trip we caught some of the largest Specs we have ever caught in the park.

Here is a good example of how all the leaves were changing. It was absolutely beauitful colors this time of year.

Here is a picture where we finally reached the end of the stream where it splits. I am not sure if i could make it this far upstream again, it almost killed us getting there.

Hope you enjoy the report and pictures and thanks for letting use share as small part of an incredible trip.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Looks like an awesome trip, I am envious. If you were where I think you were, that is a trip I hope to make one day.

Great report.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Default It was Magical

The fishing, the blooming of the leaves, the bobcat & bear, it was all magical. The most entertaining part was seeing my brothers hammock in a different location when I woke up from a warm and cozy sleep. Putting his hammock on top a rock in the breeze was a bit brave in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 AM

If its the same three hemlocks as in my picture, then it was pretty brave...not exactly a gentle grade down to the water.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM

Awesome report looks like you guys had a blast. Don't know if you all noticed while you were there but those three hemlocks have blue paint spots at the bottom where they have been treated by the park. That is a great looking speck too!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 10-14-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Great Trip! I've been itching to do a long trip like that for a while.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Sweet! Looks (and sounds) like an awesome trip!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Great report. Did the fishing improve significantly the further you headed upstream?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM

I am also curious how the fishing was at the infamous "end" of the stream.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM

I was curious at to how long it took to get from the campsite to the pool and if you all returned the same way or went up to 44. It seems like that's quite a haul.