Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM

the secrets out hehe

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
the secrets out hehe
That's okay, though. Those that know from the pics and/or description already know about the place.

One day, I will make it there. I need to shed a few pounds before I go.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 PM

ifish4wildtrout (and others)--There's no easy way to get to the big pool from campsite 47 (or any other way, for that matter). It's a long, long slog up the creek from 47. As for fishing at the end of the stream, it doesn't end at the big pool, although I doubt if the feeders creating the pool see 10 fishermen a year. I don't worry about specifics because I know, beyond any doubt, that only the truly hale and hearty are going to get more than a mile or so upstream of Enloe Creek, and only the unwise and foolhardy are going to get comparable distances downstream. It's the most rugged water and area in the Park, one which I will never, at my age, see again. For all of you in your 20s, 30s, and 40s, get exceptionally fit and then maybe you are ready to give it a go. I do have questions in connection with the original post (which is a dandy). How did you manage to stay in the same campsite that long, and if you didn't, did you get the special permission which enables you to camp in undesignated sites? That would be a true adventure of the kind I enjoyed the better part of 50 years ago for a magical 10 days on Deep Creek's Left Fork.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Cross country camping permits are available but I imagine they are hard to get and I don't think that area would qualify for the criteria from the park compendium. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Crosscountry camping
Camping in the backcountry is permitted only at
established backcountry sites, except as authorized by a
cross-country permit. Cross-country permits may not be
self-issued and must be approved by a Resource and Visitor
Protection Division employee. Cross-country camping (at
other than designated sites) is permitted under the
following conditions:
The maximum party size is four persons. The
use of horses or other stock is prohibited.
The campsite must be at least one-half mile
from any designated trail, one mile from any
designated road and 100 feet from the nearest
surface water.
Camping in spruce-fir, beech gaps or on
grassy or heath balds is prohibited.
The duration of stay at each location cannot
exceed one night and the same location cannot
be used a second time on the same trip.
Wood fires are prohibited.
Campers are required to obliterate all traces of
human presence upon leaving a cross-country
camp.
Camping locations for each night should be as
closely pinpointed as possible using natural
landmarks or map coordinates and so noted on
the permit. Trips are expected to follow the
designated itinerary as closely as possible.
Cross-country hiking is a special use and requires
special equipment, training and/or experience. These
regulations are an attempt to permit this special use,
while minimizing the potential impact on natural
resources.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Smile I see no reason why a permit can't be obtained

BeninTenn - As long as you get 100 feet from the water. If you have hammocks it should be no big deal. Although in a place like that the safety (maybe just perceived in my head) of a fire at night would be missed.

If I'm not mistaken I think Jim's brother Don recently did a similar trip. And I'm sure he would have gotten a permit.

As for ir being the most remote and rugged place, it is, but is just a pale comparison to what lies below 47.

Another great feature of the trifluence is that it is part of the creation myth of the Cherokee people. It's where the Raven crashed into the earth, and I forget the details from there. Regardless of how you wrap it up, or describe this place, words only go so far. When you are there if you open up your senses and take in all you can, you will be filled with awe and wonder and feel fully alive
Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 PM

duckypaddler--I agree that obtaining a permit should not pose a problem, because Park authorities would be hard pressed to deny one if the person asking for it could show they had adequate equipment. I also concur that the area downstream is far, far more rugged than that above Enloe Creek. You had better bet extremely fit to venture into the gorge on Raven Fork and maybe more than a little crazy. Certainly it is not a place to go alone.

Don, my brother, did venture into the area back in the summer, but it was a one-day trip--he doesn't give much of a second thought to 20-25 miles in a day. In the end he didn't actually go all the way down to Three Forks (he was bushwhacking the the Breakneck Ridge region). He decided the briars were just too thick and that he would wait until after a good, killing forst. You should have seen photos of his legs after the adventure. He looked like he had been on a seven-day rabbit hunt wearing shorts

Jim Casada
Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Default Make proper plans

After reading everyones response i felt that I should make sure no one has any false illusions.

For this trip my brother and I went to the gym 6 days a week EVERY week for three months straight. We are getting a little older but this trip really did put a hurting on use. Younger and better shape individuals should fare better.

Like Jims brother we both came home with all kinds of red, white, and blue bruises.

and to get some of these:

I brought home a 5 inch one of these;

Just would not want anyone to get hurt. I sure would not do this trip without someone I really trusted could get me out if things got bad.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Mac--Very sound advice, and I notice that the price paid for hooking the ultimate in piscatorial beauty took place on an area of sparse grey hackle. I envy you the trip and can only reiterate what I've said before; this is one of those places those of you who are somewhat younger than this grizzled veteran of Smokies' trout wars need to put on your "must go there" agenda. But Mac's advice on fitness and preparation is spot on.
Jim Casada
Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Mac, I enjoyed reading about your trip and it has been on my Smokies bucket list for a while. I was on Hazel Creek while you were on your trip. I noticed you are from Lexington too. If you have the time and inclination I would like to ask you about it in more detail. If so, you could shoot me an email at tyereece@insightbb.com
Old 10-22-2010, 01:25 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Pick up an undercover for that hammock and it'll sleep a lot warmer =)