Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Smile 1928 & 1942 SMHC Maps

I'm sorry it took me so long to get these posted. I had tried to post them several ways, all of which wouldn't give you a full resolution image. I finally broke down and built a personal website and posted them myself. Now you to can enjoy them (free of charge, or course)

I want to give a big thanks to my fishing bud who has now given me these maps and old Smoky Mountain Hiking Club guides. They have filled me with more information than any other source I have delved into in my last 20 years of exploring the park.

The 1928 Map shows the old hotels which there were a ton of. It was drawn in 1927

The 1942 Map shows many trails that are no longer in existance. A great resource for the off trail traveler. Cool to see the old road that is now under Fontana, and this is where I first learned that Hazel & Eagle weren't always in the park.

Please take a look and give me some feedback as there are a ton of details in these maps.

Enjoy

http://www.duckypaddler.com/maps-page.html

James
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 PM

I looked them over very cool dp. I noticed you had a picture of one of those "stars" in the rocks probably from the trail out to Andrews Bald. I have seen them on the middle prong trail also and never could figure out what they were or how they were made. There was a long discussion about these on the gosmokies site a little while back with some speculation but no resolution.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Looks like it was made with a fluted rock bit. Silvercreek
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Smile Star in the rocks is from a star drill

Don't know much about them except that's what the old railroaders used to drill out the rocks. They would then drop some dynamite in to clear the rail grade. The ones you tend to see left over are from places where the rock weren't in the way enough, or decided to drill in another location.

Website is still in infancy, just wanted to get the maps out there.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Default along similar lines

has anybody seen any of the WPA travel poster for the park? Were there any made?

I have seen some of the reprints from Western Parks when I was in Yellowstone this spring and there is a calender with western WPA park posters but nothing for GSMNP

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Incredible, Thanks very much,
Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Streamhound, I think I may have seen such a guide, but for me memory is a fickle mistress so I may be remembering coverage of the Park in the WPA guide to N. C.

I have seen a brochure which Horace Kephart and George Masa, in tandem with Bryson City druggist and entrepreneur Doc Kelly Bennett, put together to provide guided trips in and around the Park. It was in a large collection of Kephart material I recently sold to the University of Tennessee. What it reveals is that Kephart and Masa, while progenitors of the Park, also viewed it as a commercial vehicle. Not many know that.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

James--Great stuff. I had seen the 1928 map but not the 1941 one. I know my brother, Don, who is an avid and accomplished hiker with considerable interest in old trails and manways, will be keenly interested.

As for Hazel and Eagle Creek, parts of them were in the Park from the outset, but much of the "settled" area wasn't. Indeed, there was a major fishing club on Hazel Creek in the years between the ending of the logging there and 1944 (Hazel Creek Fishing Club). Jim Stikeleather was the key figure and any number of notables fished there. There's considerable information on the club in the chapter on Hazel Creek in Jim Gasque's book, and I have quite a bit on the history of this period in my book on fishing in the Park. Hazel Creek will be covered in even more detail in an upcoming article I have written for Smokies Life. There's considerable information on this general subject in Lance Holland's Fontana, and if you are a real glutton for information get the 700+ page TVA report, The Fontana Project.
That's probably far more info than you wanted, but I thought I'd pass it on. Thanks for sharing the maps.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 AM

Outstanding, James! Thanks for sharing. I linked to your maps page just now.

JF