Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
jeffnles1's Avatar
jeffnles1 jeffnles1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 1,117
Default Fising Absolutes

Some things I know as fact about fly fishing in the Smoky's.
  • A fly gets hung in a tree about 3" out of reach every time
  • 5X tippet is worthless for pulling the tree limb down that last 3"
  • dry rocks are just as dangerous as wet slick rocks
  • I never catch a decent fish when someone is there to witness the event.
  • Photographs always shrink the fish by at least a 50% margin
  • Fish have an IQ of about 3 so what does it say about me when I get skunked?
  • Don't take "your" car key off the keychain to put in your pocket and lock the rest of the keys in the car when you drove your wife's car to the stream.
  • Spiders in the Smoky's are really big, especially when they are crawling up your arm.
  • Acorns landing on your head hurt
  • The water is deeper than it looks and it's cold
  • however many flys you buy at LRO, you needed that number plus 1.
  • The fly you only have 1 of is the one they're hitting (see number 2 about the value of 5X tippet for pulling the tree branch down the last 3")
  • Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked
  • That hill is a lot steeper than it looks
  • Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches taste great after a solid morning's fishing and the hood of a car makes a pretty good picnic table
  • No matter how bad the catching is, the fishing is always outstanding.
  • If there is anyplace on Earth prettier than the streams in the Smoky's I've yet to see it.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Knothead Knothead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Tennessee
Posts: 644
Default

How true!
Fisherman's luck:
1. You should have been here yesterday. They were hitting anything that hit the water.
2. Just after you left they started hitting anything that hit the water.
__________________
John Torchick
http://www.hiwasseecustomrods.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
ifish4wildtrout's Avatar
ifish4wildtrout ifish4wildtrout is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Race City USA, NC
Posts: 393
Default

Any time you turn your head or look away, something will hit your fly. When you look back, it's too late for the hook set. That happens to me from time to time.

When I do snag a tree, rock, or whatever, it only seems to happen the first cast into a nice looking run, hole, or pool. That way, I get to spook the entire area before fishing it.

Can't see with my polarized sunglasses, can't see without them. They always seem to fog up.

That fish always looks bigger when it's in the water.

We usually only talk about the big one that got away. I don't think I've ever mentioned a 5 incher that came unhooked.
__________________
Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Some things I know as fact about fly fishing in the Smoky's.
  • A fly gets hung in a tree about 3" out of reach every time
  • 5X tippet is worthless for pulling the tree limb down that last 3"
  • dry rocks are just as dangerous as wet slick rocks
  • I never catch a decent fish when someone is there to witness the event.
  • Photographs always shrink the fish by at least a 50% margin
  • Fish have an IQ of about 3 so what does it say about me when I get skunked?
  • Don't take "your" car key off the keychain to put in your pocket and lock the rest of the keys in the car when you drove your wife's car to the stream.
  • Spiders in the Smoky's are really big, especially when they are crawling up your arm.
  • Acorns landing on your head hurt
  • The water is deeper than it looks and it's cold
  • however many flys you buy at LRO, you needed that number plus 1.
  • The fly you only have 1 of is the one they're hitting (see number 2 about the value of 5X tippet for pulling the tree branch down the last 3")
  • Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked
  • That hill is a lot steeper than it looks
  • Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches taste great after a solid morning's fishing and the hood of a car makes a pretty good picnic table
  • No matter how bad the catching is, the fishing is always outstanding.
  • If there is anyplace on Earth prettier than the streams in the Smoky's I've yet to see it.
Jeff
*Good Synopsis! I can relate to all of those!

[QUOTE=ifish4wildtrout;86999]
Can't see with my polarized sunglasses, can't see without them. They always seem to fog up.
/QUOTE]
**Spit inside your glasses and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. The protein in your saliva well help reduce the fogging of your classes. Carried this over from my scuba training....
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
ifish4wildtrout's Avatar
ifish4wildtrout ifish4wildtrout is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Race City USA, NC
Posts: 393
Default

I'll try that, thanks.
__________________
Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Chuckwalla's Avatar
Chuckwalla Chuckwalla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lawrenceville, Ga
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Any time you turn your head or look away, something will hit your fly. When you look back, it's too late for the hook set.
+1, Drives me nuts! Yet, I can't stop doing it.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Fishstu Fishstu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 49
Default The "Mother of All Absolutes"

I have no disagreement with any of the observations made by others in this thread, and while I do not have empirical evidence at hand to demonstrate the accuracy of any of them - - we "know" them to be truisms from our own experiences in the bee-u-tee-ful streams (and on the banks of streams) in GSMNP.

I respectfully submit for your consdieration as the "Mother of All Absolutes" the following axiom - - coined by a sage more wise than me: A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day at Work.

Can I get an 'amen' or 'hear-hear' (depending on your personal preference)?

Fishstu
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Rog 1's Avatar
Rog 1 Rog 1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 872
Default

Another...the best looking water is always on the other side of the river.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
ifish4wildtrout's Avatar
ifish4wildtrout ifish4wildtrout is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Race City USA, NC
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstu View Post
I have no disagreement with any of the observations made by others in this thread, and while I do not have empirical evidence at hand to demonstrate the accuracy of any of them - - we "know" them to be truisms from our own experiences in the bee-u-tee-ful streams (and on the banks of streams) in GSMNP.

I respectfully submit for your consdieration as the "Mother of All Absolutes" the following axiom - - coined by a sage more wise than me: A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day at Work.

Can I get an 'amen' or 'hear-hear' (depending on your personal preference)?

Fishstu
Amen, my brother, amen. Truer words never spoken.
__________________
Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Ky Tim's Avatar
Ky Tim Ky Tim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 180
Default

"Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked"

LOL I haven't been there for a while but down at Wingates Lodge on Lake Seminole Georgia the sign out front was similar to that. As you were arriving it said "They were really catching them yesterday!" as you were leaving it said something like "They will be tearing them up tomorrow!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.