Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Any Info on water levels SW VA

Heading towards the area around Marion VA this weekend. Are the water levels going to be as low as I expect. I guess they are really low with all the quages I have looked at on the web?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfb1 View Post
Heading towards the area around Marion VA this weekend. Are the water levels going to be as low as I expect. I guess they are really low with all the quages I have looked at on the web?
ukfb1-

My wife & I just came back from a one week vacation in the Shenandoah Valley visiting Civil War sites and also fishing about 3 days. The upper and lower sections of the Jackson River have low & slow water. I was talking to one of the local fly flingers and he told us that the water was low, and the trout are holding in the deeper pools, but he couldn't get them to take any flies that he tried. Driving back home on Sunday, the Jackson criss crosses over I-64, and the water looked low in all the spots that we checked.

We tried a number of recommended spots from Lexington north to Woodstock and west to the George Washington Forest.

The North Fork of the Shenandoah, and Big Stony Creek up near Harrisonburg and Edinburg were just ok, catching smallmouths. Visiting with Rhonda at Murray's Fly Shop, in Edinburg, mirrored what we had found. VA just hadn't had any rain in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Mossy Creek Outfitters, in Harrisonburg, had the same analysis.

Wish I could be more "upbeat" and tell you where to go, but with the dry conditions, its a hit or miss proposition.

Bill

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 10-21-2010 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 AM

So how was the fishing? I am purty sure I saw you fishing yesterday. Water was low but not as low as the creek I fished earlier in the day.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
So how was the fishing? I am purty sure I saw you fishing yesterday. Water was low but not as low as the creek I fished earlier in the day.
Oldman-

Was the question directed at me or to ukfb1?

Bill
Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 AM

ukfb1 was who I am nearly certain I saw because of the Kentucky plates and Boyd Co on them. Also, it was SW VA.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
ukfb1 was who I am nearly certain I saw because of the Kentucky plates and Boyd Co on them. Also, it was SW VA.
It probably was ukfb1, I don't know for sure. The nice thing about I-81, and US Rt 11 is that you can run up & down the Shenandoah fairly quickly, and get to the fishing spots with out fighting traffic or slow downs.

Bill
Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Water was low, only caught two rainbows but one was a 18" about two and a half lbs. Only been flyfishing about a year, so I was pretty nervous getting him to hand on the 6x tippet. Glad my fishing partner was close by for support.

Last edited by ukfb1; 10-25-2010 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: picture added
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM

I did not get anything near the size of the one you got. However, I must of fished a whole lot longer than you cus I caught a great deal more than two. Are the 1st and last numbers or letters of your license plate 5 and T? If so twas you indeed. Did you fish anywhere else in the area? Also, you passed some great streams in WVA.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I was over outside of Marion on that C/R section in a Nissan Exterra. Was that the truck?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I did not get anything near the size of the one you got. However, I must of fished a whole lot longer than you cus I caught a great deal more than two. Are the 1st and last numbers or letters of your license plate 5 and T? If so twas you indeed. Did you fish anywhere else in the area? Also, you passed some great streams in WVA.
Yea that was us, we left two guys at the stocked area, and we fished from noon till dark. I missed afew fish on drys during the day, caught the big rainbow on a #18 BHPT. The guy I was fishing with caught quite a few more than I did but I got him on the fish of the day. We did not fish anywhere else, I'm still new to this flyfishing so my knowledge of steams and where to go are mostly up to that guy I was fishing with Saturday. We do fish WV a little, was at the Cranberry a month ago backpacking and fishing. We have a cabin in Bastin VA we use as a base so most of our fishing is in that area.