Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Default Halloween Park Visit

I got to the parking area around 8:15 and was surprised to find that it already looked like the Clinch weir parking area on a Saturday afternoon. People were all over the place. I had strung up my rod at home, so I jumped out of the car and hit the trail. When I got down into the stream, I found wet boot prints all over the place. I fished for an hour or so, but didnít see the first fish. I sat down to eat a piece of bagel and change flies. I looked upstream and saw someone pretty far ahead of me boulder hopping up the stream. I waved at him to see if we could fish together to no avail. In my opinion, fishing behind someone in the mountains is quite unproductive. I decided to break down my rod and hit the trail for several more miles. I wanted to put some significant distance between the two of us, because I wanted to get into some un-spooked fish, but at the same time, I didnít want to ruin his trip.
I hiked the main trail for a few miles, got on some sort of game trail for a while, then emerged from the Rhodo on some nice looking water.

The fishing was ok. Dries only, nothing on nymphs, which I was surprised at. I even tried the skank fly green weenie. I used different colors of stimulators most of the day. Mostly rainbows, with some specks mixed in.

Fishing still didnít seem right, big pools that usually held 2-3 hungry fish werenít producing much more than a slap from a small fish, and sometimes nothing. I then found more wet boot prints so I decided to call it a day and make my way back to the car. Still a beautiful day, and I was glad to get out and enjoy the morning, have a nice hike, catch a few fish and make it back home by early afternoon.
Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Grannyknot,

Was that you in white accord with a TN brook trout plate?

My buddy and I were in the parking lot when someone pulled up, was rigged up in about two or three minutes and was on the trail. We didn't know where the person got in so we started at the parking lot. We were hoping the person hiked up the trail to get the better brookie water. No fish, no strikes, came up on boot prints, hiked up in the woods, hit the trail and walked for a ways and then made our way back to the river. No boot prints at that point but still no fish until the sun hit the water and then we started picking up small fish on dries but nothing like I would have thought for that water. We made our way out about 3:00 and the car was gone. If that was us that got in ahead of you, I was hoping we gave you plenty of room. If not, I hope we didn't ruin your day.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 AM

gmreeves, yep that was me. I noticed an Alabama plate on one of the cars, and thought it might be you, but figured the chances were slim. There were 2 people that got in the water before us, one went in right past the parking lot, I saw him as I hiked up the trail, those were probably the footprints you saw early on. The other guy was well up the river and was the guy I was fishing behind. I talked to some hikers several miles up the trail that said some fisherman with spinning rods had passed them early in the morning.

I noticed on the way out that we should have been fishing downstream of the parking area, it was empty. Too bad I didn't get to meet you, I would have liked to put my hands on one of those bamboo rods you make.

There were so many people on the water yesterday morning, it was tough to divide it up between all of us. Still better than painting the house, which I was supposed to be doing.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Cool. My trip was a last minute unexpected trip. I thought about posting up here looking to see if anybody wanted to join me because I thought I was going to be running solo. A friend of mine surprised me by showing up at camp at 10:00 Saturday night though so that was good. I would have liked to meet up with you. I had to go check something out in the woods by the parking lot and when I got back you were already heading across the bridge. I've never fished that river before but have read once you get started you are commited. I thought about running up to catch you to see if we could fish together so not to be fishing kicked through water but by the time we finished rigging up, you were gone. We were impressed though by how intent you were. That water was gorgeous. I can see why people like it. I can't beleive we were the fourth or fifth people to be moving through it on such a cold morning just after sunrise. It makes me feel better though because I thought I was lousy fisherman for a few hours working that water hard coming up empty handed. We still managed to have a pretty day exploring new water.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM

I would bet that Sam's Creek may have been subject to a little stringer filling.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com