Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Hazel Creek Bear Incident?

Has anyone heard anymore on the bear incident on Hazel Creek as reported by Byron in the fishing report last week? This is where a camper was supposedly pulled from his tent and fired a short from his pistol to scare off the bear. The camper was supposedly given a citation for discharging a firearm in the Park? Was wondering if this had any truth or merely campfire fodder in the spirit of the season....
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Rog 1--I've really wondered about this as well. I acutally asked someone who works for the USFWS about this and he suggested that if it did happen it would be a classic example of a lack of law enforcement common sense. I for one would like to know more, and my personal view is that if it happened the guy showed constraint by merely shooting in the air.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I wonder what would happen if someone carrying a pistol in the backcountry gets the urge to have pork chops and fresh bacon and just so happens to run into a group of feral pigs?

Do they charge them with killing wildlife even though they are a nuisance to the park and the NPS regularlly hunts/traps/destroys them?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Hazel Creek

I saw that post when I returned from Hazel. We were camped at Sawdust pile from Thurs 10/14 to Sun 10/17 and we never saw a bear in camp. (One of the shore of Fontana).
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Even if someone admits to a crime there must be some proof of the crime....how could the ranger prove that a shot had been fired if he did not witness the discharge....would not think that even hearing a shot being fired would be enough to cite someone....cannot force the person to testify against himself....
Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Talk about lack of sense, common or otherwise

In the town where I was born, a woman was cited by the police for hunting without a license after shooting a gator that tried to enter her house through a pet door.
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

Last edited by pmike; 10-25-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Has anyone heard anymore on the bear incident on Hazel Creek as reported by Byron in the fishing report last week? This is where a camper was supposedly pulled from his tent and fired a short from his pistol to scare off the bear. The camper was supposedly given a citation for discharging a firearm in the Park? Was wondering if this had any truth or merely campfire fodder in the spirit of the season....
Even if it did happen and the camper was cited for discharging a firearm, find a jury who would convict him for shooting a firearm while a bear was dragging him from the tent, for that matter, find a judge who would even allow the case to come before his/her bench.

I think it would take a ranger who was having the mother of all bad days to give a fellow a ticket in a situation like that.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I highly doubt we are hearing the facts... Did his sleeping bag have gashes in it? did his legs even have a scratch? There would be some form of hard proof if the camper was truly dragged out by the bear. If the bear was snooping, and sniffing and the guy fired a shot, while his action may be understood, that still doesn't make it legal. I want to see this sleeping bag...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 PM

I had a wildlife officer several years ago tell me that if I shot a bear out of season while bowhunting ( I was having a young bear around my stand site regularly and he was getting a tad too curious and brave with me in the tree), that I'd better have claw marks on me to prove I shot it in self defense. I said bull! Nobody in their right mind would purposefully wait till a bear had a hold on them to react to defend themselves. I told him I will do everything in my power to persuade the bear to leave me be without using my bow, but if he starts up my tree again and dont turn around before he gets too close, he's getting an arrow, bear season or not. I would not wait to see if he's gonna kill me before I react. That would be utterly stupid.
We have a right to defend ourselves from man or beast. I understand what you're saying, and I believe we agree, but if his bag is ripped up or not is really no matter in his actions. A Ranger that would issue a citation for such needs to go back to rookie school for some "common sense" training.
Mark 1:17

Last edited by DarrinG; 10-25-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I highly doubt we are hearing the facts... Did his sleeping bag have gashes in it? did his legs even have a scratch? There would be some form of hard proof if the camper was truly dragged out by the bear. If the bear was snooping, and sniffing and the guy fired a shot, while his action may be understood, that still doesn't make it legal. I want to see this sleeping bag...
How many of us, if we woke up finding a bear dragging us out of our tent and were fortunate enough to have a gun in hand, would only shoot into the air? I'm emptying my gun into the perpetrator, and I can't imagine anyone else doing differently.

Most likely, as 2wt says, the bear was just sniffing around the camp, and the guy fired a warning shot.