Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndoc View Post
How many of us, if we woke up finding a bear dragging us out of our tent and were fortunate enough to have a gun in hand, would only shoot into the air? I'm emptying my gun into the perpetrator, and I can't imagine anyone else doing differently.

Most likely, as 2wt says, the bear was just sniffing around the camp, and the guy fired a warning shot.
Assuming the event happened, it's quite possible the guy just missed.

I'd like to hear the whole story before deciding what he should have / shouldn't have done.

So far, what I've heard is the bear was acting in some threatening way, the camper fired a warning shot, the bear left. No harm, no foul. The bear is no worse for the wear other than a ringing in his ears, the camper is not hurt. They both probably learned a valuable lesson. I doubt if the bear is going to be too eager to come close to another campsite and the camper may be a little more careful how he sets up his camp. That's where the story should have ended.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 AM

Bears have a dumbfounding power over the powers that be in this state. I highly doubt the man was dragged from his tent. If he had the slightest of scratches the bear would have been hunted down as a man eater and killed for his actions. My guess. The bear was snooping around or going threw his gear and he fired a shot. He came out and found the first ranger or person to tell of his escaping a sure death and fireing a warning shot and in return got a ticket. IF the bear was doing something around him putting a shot in the air probably saved the BEARS life not the mans. Now the bear knows that his ears will hurt the next time he gets around humans. I read just a few short weeks ago in the Maryville times where one man (I believe on Rich mtn) was sick and tired of the bears destroying his blue berry bushs so he shot it with buckshot. I know it's highly unlikely that it killed the bear but, to me that's rediculas. He moved here from somewhere else where he could be close to nature, planted one of a bears favorite foods and complains because the bear is doing what it's surposed to do. The man as far as I know was not given a citation.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I hope my post was not taken incorrectly, Im not against the warning shot idea. And if the bear touched me, every round in my gun would be in the bear, shoot, I may reload!! I just think in this case, the camper wasn't actually pulled from the tent..
Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Lots of incidents like this happen in the park and the details are not released to the public. I have a friend who covers the park for a knoxville station and he told me about an incident a few years back (before they allowed guns in the park) where one of the backcountry campsites was closed for a long time due to an aggressive bear. The park was considering opening it back up and allowed a friend of a ranger to spend the night there as a "test" to see if the bear was gone. Apparently unknown to the park this guy brought a pistol with him and sure enough a bear came in the night and scared the crap out of this fellow not sure what it did maybe tried to get in the tent or something but the guy ended up shooting himself accidentally in the foot according to my friend. It must have just grazed him apparently and the park never released any of the details. Unless someone is hurt bad and has to go to the hospital I tend to think most of the time the park keeps things like this quiet.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Shooting a bear and just wounding it is just asking for trouble down the road. I would hate to think that I shot a bear/deer/turkey, etc. and left it to die or the critter have an infection due to being shot. When the little girl was killed in Chilhowee Mountain a few years ago, a fellow found the bear and shot at it with a .32 pistol. Too small! Guns were illegal at that time but I was told that he know the right people and nothing was done. If you shoot a bear, make sure you have enough power. A bear can rearrange your landscape real fast if you don't get him down with the first shot.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Tauras and Smith and Wesson both make extremely light, .44 cals really desinged for concealed carry. Im sure other brands do as well. I think in most cases the sound of the shot alone would deter a bear, but my luck, I have the .01 percent bear that runs towards me instead of away from me. I carry heavy loads, with solid hard cast lead bullets. With a bear it is all about penetration, and hollow points do not achieve the penetration that I would like.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Maybe I should go armed in the backcountry but I usually just have a knife in my tent with me. I do have some bear spray but not sure it would be of much use if I am stuck inside a tent with the bear coming through the side. Might have to look into one of those light 44s 2weight. Has anyone heard about a guy named John who was drug out of his tent at poke patch back in the 90s? I found a blog he wrote about it once but can't find it now.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
Tauras and Smith and Wesson both make extremely light, .44 cals really desinged for concealed carry. Im sure other brands do as well. I think in most cases the sound of the shot alone would deter a bear, but my luck, I have the .01 percent bear that runs towards me instead of away from me. I carry heavy loads, with solid hard cast lead bullets. With a bear it is all about penetration, and hollow points do not achieve the penetration that I would like.
I've shot a couple of the lightweight .44mags and the recoil sure does get your attention.

Tauras makes one called "The Judge" that shoots 410 shot shells or .45 colt revolver cartridges. I would imagine a face full of BB shot from a 410 would probably change a bear's mind about causing further harm to you even if it didn't kill it outright.

Like others have said, I'd hate to think of any animal suffering and dying a long death, but if it were trying to harm me and that was my last option, at the end of the day, there is only 1 of me and there are plenty of bears.

Let's just hope we are never faced with the decision. I know it's one I don't ever want to have to make.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Are the Taurus and S & W guns the .44 Special or .44 magnum? Big difference in the two, from my experience. They are identical in dimensions expect the magnum is longer so it can't be used in the Special; same with the .38 Special and .357 magnum.
Taking all things into consideration, it is remarkable that with all the bears in the park (abound 1,500) and the couple of million people who visit the park each year that there aren't any more confrontations. I'm more worried about the people than the bears.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM

I believe that S&W makes both the .44 mag and special, The tauras is just the mag, however they have some tiny .357's as qwell. I just went to their website and they have an incredible array of sizes and weights to choose from. I carry everywhere, not just in the woods. Will something ever happpen that I need it, I seriously doubt it, but I can say that I am at least expressing my constitutional rights..