Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM

Default Fly fishing near Lancaster county, PA

My wife has been bothering me about taking a trip to see the Pennsylvania Dutch area next summer. I was trying to do some early research about where I could try to fly fish around that area. I've heard about Big Spring Creek in Newville, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. We may stay in a B & B or camp, or even backpack.

Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM

I live about 45 minutes south of Lancaster and fish the area around Lancaster regularly. The two creeks I would quickly recommend first in order of relative distance from downtonw Lancaster:

1. West Branch Octoraro River (about 15-20 minutes south, just south of Quarryville, PA). Small creek, fly fishing only, catch & release only; two distinct areas separated by Pussyville Roard, upstream is plunge & pool, downstream is meadows and man made structures. I prefer the meadows but opinions vary. Easy wading, nice fishing, you will catch fish.

2. Yellow Breeches (about 1 hour northwest of Lancaster, at Boiling Springs, PA, just south of Carlisle, PA). Medium creek, all tackle, catch & release only section. Slightly bigger water, slightly more educated trout. You will probably catch fish.

I am not impressed with Big Spring Creek--in my opinion not really worth the drive. If you want to drive that far there are several better choices. If you PM I will reply with my phone # and email.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate the info! If the trip works out, I'll try them out and let you know how I do.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:31 PM

My parents lived in Reading. Beautiful country. If you have the opportunity, get to know the Amish culture and way of life. Sometimes, I think they have the right idea about life and living. We have an Old Order Mennonite community east of us. They live basically like the Old Order Amish. Don't have a URL but a search will bring up some websites that address the reasons behind their lifestyle. Enjoy your vacation.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM

I grew up in Carlisle, about an hour or hour and a half away from Lancaster, and unfortunately didn't start fly fishing until I moved away. I do get some fishing in when I go back to visit though, and I would second the Yellow Breeches. It's a fun little stream to fish and there are some nice fish in there. The Letort is also in Carlisle, although I failed miserably at that one...tough fishing!!! The Susquehanna will probably be too high to wade right now, but that is a fantastic smallmouth river...