Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post
...I'm not familiar with the Bristol waterworks dam. Actually, I'm sure I'm probably familiar with it, but not so much with that particular title. I'll clarify my previous post. Some of the boats I saw came down from around the islands and over the grates. I believe two did that. One on the near side of the island and one on the far side of the island. The other five or six boats launched from the ramp at the gravel parking lot right at the grates, paddled to mid river between the grates and the bridge and fished there before heading downstream.
Milligan T D... I think what you refer to as the grates is what I was calling the dam. Yours is probably the correct name. I assumed the feature was constructed back in the day in part to ensure an adequate pool of water to satisfy the water department pump intake on the northside. I've not gotten to witness it firsthand, but obivously the brink is deep enough to prevent boats from dragging.

Good info. Thanks.

JF
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Can't tell from the size of the map I can see, but it would be nice if common names for some of the fishing areas were put on the map. They may already be there and I just can't make them out. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Call me ignorant, but I've fished up and down the SOHO and have been all around the hickory tree area. I've heard Prater's name mentioned many times, but I don't really know anything about the reference. I've floated down the river once before and don't recall seeing any ramps around that area. Perhaps its part of riverway and I just missed it? The time I floated, the guy who owns the property (river rightside) just around the bend of the TVA cul-de-sac area gave me a hard time about not stepping out of my pontoon wihle on his "property" which he claims includes the river bottom.
Jack Praters house is just past Hickory tree bridge. He will let you launch or take out there and will shuttle you. There is also a Twra put in/take out on Big Springs,Rockhold,then Bluff City.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Can't tell from the size of the map I can see, but it would be nice if common names for some of the fishing areas were put on the map. They may already be there and I just can't make them out. Regards, Silvercreek
Thanks for the feedback, silvercreek. I have shown a good many areas where I have fished in the form of fishing pictographs. Examples: Riverbend TVA walk-in area and the pulloffs along Big Springs Rd (see detail at bottom of map page.) Some are included in the GPS waypoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemc View Post
Jack Praters house is just past Hickory tree bridge. He will let you launch or take out there and will shuttle you. There is also a Twra put in/take out on Big Springs,Rockhold,then Bluff City.
Kyle, I have come to appreciate the extent to which Jack is helping anglers experience the stream. I'll call more attention to his location on a future revision.

Thanks for the info.
JF
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I probably saw Jack's the last time I floated it, but I don't recall. I floated down to Webb Bridge from Emmett Bridge on low water in a one man pontoon. Talk about an all day float! The ramp on Big Springs is also a mystery to me. I've driven that road many times and I don't remember a ramp being anywhere on there either. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to ramps when I'm fishing.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Jack's place is downstream of Hickory Tree Bridge and just upstream of some rapids that pose a problem for certain types of watercraft under certain flow conditions.

PS. the pictograph is supposed to signify a strocking site. I have got to redo it lest it be mistaken for something other than fish being discharged into the stream.

Last edited by JoeFred; 12-02-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
The ramp on Big Springs is also a mystery to me. I've driven that road many times and I don't remember a ramp being anywhere on there either. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to ramps when I'm fishing.
It is in the 90 degree bend before the road leaves the river. A little dirt cul de sac.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It is in the 90 degree bend before the road leaves the river. A little dirt cul de sac.
That's right, I can remember it now, just couldn't picture it earlier. Thanks