Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Tailwaters and lakes turning over

All,

i know it has been discussed before but there are alot of hits for turnover. That being said im planning on getting out to the clinch this weekend to freeze my butt off and try and catch a trout. I know that the weather is getting colder now that it is November and i also know that lakes turn over October-November (or at least that is what i have been told) I have also heard that once Norris turns over the clinch slows way down and i was curious if this was really the case or just an old fly-fisherman story.

So i guess what im asking is when a lake turns over does it affect the tailwater fishing, and when does norris turn over?

While im on the topic since it is a tailwater im assuming that my fly choices and presentations will not change too much from the past few months. Or do fish spawn and run on the clinch? i guess i do not know or understand too much about a stock/tailwater trouts year round habits on a tailwater either? any good books or educational if available?

thanks,
-Max
Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM

the spawning is it's own topic with 20 pages of opinions and explanations. They do spawn (I've seen them and filmed it), how successful they are is the argument.
I have no data to back up my opinion regarding turnover,so this is just an opinion, but I don't think it matters on the Clinch, Holston is a different story. I think it just slows down a little in the winter. You can see them midging all winter, I like fishing for them when their midging, because you can see them.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I think winter fishing is not bad at all... The water is often warmer than the air. When it gets colder; you lose most bugs except for midges and gnats. So, your fly patterns become more selective. However, I have taken most size fish on a pattern that is out of the norm. This time of year is when the fishing gets a bit more technical and I enjoy it.

See you on the water tomorrow...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 AM

I may be out there this afternoon on the upper river. Seems that this time of year the generation schedule is always against me fishing on the lower river in the afternoon. Hopefully opening of muzzle loader season and the cold snap will keep the crowds down some.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Any of you all get out today? I was stuck doing house work all day, but wondered how it was fishing.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 AM

it sucked...only caught 1 brown...but im no expert.....saw some big'uns... lots of brown trout getting caught on the weir as the water went down...never seen that before
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Didn't make it out yesterday after all, spent the day at home restocking my midge box with a little helper.

I hope to make it out for a couple hours this afternoon if things work out. Unless the little guys wants to help "tie feesh fies".

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Fished below the dam for a couple hours this afternoon and the water was slightly off color and warm. When I landed my first fish I couldn't believe how warm the water was. So, I pulled out the old thermometer and checked it. 62 degrees at 2:30, and the air temp was 53. It appears that the lake has turned over.

The fish didn't appear to be affected by the water conditions as they were midging all-around. They were taking #20 dark olive zebra midges and olive buzzers with gusto.

All fish landed today were browns in the 8 - 10" range, so not the best day for quality fish. However the quantity of browns surface feeding was impressive. It was good to get out and enjoy the beautiful afternoon today.

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I really like that pic.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Fished Saturday and the water was extremely warm (57 Degrees) and it does look like the lake has turned over. This has resulted in the nice fall gnat hatch along the river. I caught all my fish on top-water bi-visibles mimicking the hatch. Here is a picture of a nice midge if you want to copy the pattern.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 11-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Added pic of fly...