Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Default Question about 2011 Korkers.....

I see that Korker's is changing their sole to the "Omnitrax V3" for 2011. I assume this means the Omnitrax 2 soles will be obsolete and will be phased out of the inventories of most fly shops??

I've had my troubles with my Korkers, but my wife thinks she can fix them, since Korker's wont. I guess now I should stock up on replacements soles??
Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM

I have owned 1 pair and had them a little over a year. Great concept POOR execution. I know it was just a pair of cross currents but still. I have had hodgeman boots that last much longer and performed better. Maybe the more expensive Korkers are better. I will never know. I can not afford those prices on a gamble.

DBK
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM

I hear ya DBK...I got mine as a birthday gift several years ago and started having problems about 6 months later. I wish I could afford to replace them with something different, instead, I have to send my wife into the sweat shop to fix them!

If we can fix the stitching in mine, I'd like to continue to wear them, but I'll need to buy enough replacement soles to hold me over for a few more years. Mine are comfortable, just not durable.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Grannyknot,
Korkers is completely changing the soles and all the boots for 2011. They said that they plan on keeping the old soles in production for at least another year. They know they need to keep the soles until the currents boots run their life cycle.

We plan on stocking the old felt soles. Plus we can always order a size if you need it.

Orvis has a boot by Korkers for 2011. It will still be using the old sole version.

Daniel
Old 11-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Thanks Daniel. I'll be sure to stock up on the v2 soles before they are gone. I looked at the Orvis boots on the midcurrent website.....don't think i'll be able to afford those any time soon.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Granny,

I bought a pair of Simms G3s on clearance this year and I have to tell you. For the money ($130 at a about 50% off), I could not be happier with these boots. The comfort is unbelievable!! They use neoprene linings and quality heel/sole materials that make them a dream to stand in for all day fishing. I would never have believed the difference until I used them. Those old Korkers have so little impact absorbing materials that my heels would KILL ME after a long day of fishing. The Simms boots are better than my running shoes. I will never buy another pair of economy boots. I know its a lot of money (if you can't find them on clearance) but I would prefer not to have my feet jacked up for a day. I got tired of not being able to put my foot down to walk till the next day (every step was like someone sticking a 10 penny nail into my heel).

Maybe your feet are in fantastic shape. Lucky you. But if you keep wearing those Korkers that may not stay the same. I am not trying to give you a hard time. I am just passing along some hard learned lessons from a reformed wading boot cheapo.

Peace Brother!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM

DBK
Usually when you have problem with your heels as you described it is caused by
your achilies tendin needing to be stretched. Put the front part of your foot on a curb or even a 2 x 4 board and gently lean forward until you feel it beginning to pull. Do this about 3 or 4 times a week for awhile and it will help your heels.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

The most comfortable pair of wading boots I have ever had on my feet are Cloudveils and of course they don't make them any more. So I bought Simms Riversheds....fished with them one time and hated them!....sold them on E-Bay and took a 50.00 loss no biggie. So now I have ordered the new Korker Chromes.

If these don't work it will be off to Hobby Lobby to find some thick felt to glue on the bottoms of the Cloudveils if I had known they would discontinue these I would have ordered 3 pairs. Would Aqua Seal work to glue on felt?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Default not happy

Bought a pair of Korkers from CRO last spring. Wore them maybe 6-7 times to wet wade in the park. Soles starting coming loose on the sides. Looked like the glue joint was failing. Cal at CRO replaced them with a new pair, which will be my last Korkers.

And I agree that the Cloudveils are great and I ,too, wish I had bought about three more pairs when Rolf Lonz's went belly up and was selling them at a 50% discount.