Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 AM

i know the fish in the park are extremely hard to catch when the water temp on this website is anywhere near 40 or below. Usually if byron temps the swinging bridge, i get 6 degrees cooler halfway up tremont. If its below 40 where you are standing, fish will be extremely difficult to catch. Im sure they can be caught, but not many and not often. Now if i am on a tailwater or DH or something with stockers, cold temps are not much of a factor. I can remember one day when it was 13 degrees (air temp obviously) standing on the bank of the little tennessee river and pulling trout in one after another. I also like fishing the clinch much better in the winter, there are fish rising everywhere most of the time. But constant water temps and trucks full of fish can have that effect...

Last edited by elkhaircaddis; 11-25-2010 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: my speller's broke
Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 AM

There are a lot of variables in the life of a fish. I have seen times that, before a front, bass turned on so you had to go behind a tree to change lures. When the front hit, they shut down with a bad case of lockjaw. It would be interesting if one kept a journal with air and water temps, BP, wind direction, etc. just to see what combination proved the best.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Once the water temps fall below the low 40's I just don't fair very well, but I'll admit I don't fish much any more when it gets that cold either.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM

I think Winter fishing is one of my favorite times to fish. The air is usually more dense and insulates the river valley very well. The sounds and nature of the water changes. It is very interesting if you stop and pay attention. I find it odd reaching in to the water and it is warmer than the air.

*However, the cold plays havoc on my leaders and tippet. They like to break and kink on me...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Seeing all the discussion around barometric pressure and its affects on fish and fishing has been very interesting.

I would have to believe that just like any pressure column, when barometric pressure is increased that pressing down on the water column, which is a non-compressable fluid, transmits the pressure change almost directly throughout the waterbody and that a fish would be able to identify small changes whether through its air bladder or lateral lines.

These pressure changes in the atmosphere are not that undetectable via human body function...just ask anyone with an arthritic knee or sinus infection. Small pressure changes affect them as well....why not a fish whose level of detection is so much greater than ours.

Temperature like anything else plays a part but i agree with the change of temp being of greater significant factor over the actual temperature until you get below ~ 40F....when its frigid outside would you rather be buried in your favorite sweatsuit next to a warm spot or out in the elements. Same for a fish....when water temps drop they huddle into a relatively warm or more stable position (deeper is more constant) but when small "warming" trends takes place, just like you and I, they look to move and take advantage of the increase in temperature and activity that will come with it.

my two cents...which is really worth about 1/2 cent with inflation.

Charles
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA MantaRay12 View Post
Seeing all the discussion around barometric pressure and its affects on fish and fishing has been very interesting.

I would have to believe that just like any pressure column, when barometric pressure is increased that pressing down on the water column, which is a non-compressable fluid, transmits the pressure change almost directly throughout the waterbody and that a fish would be able to identify small changes whether through its air bladder or lateral lines.

These pressure changes in the atmosphere are not that undetectable via human body function...just ask anyone with an arthritic knee or sinus infection. Small pressure changes affect them as well....why not a fish whose level of detection is so much greater than ours.

Temperature like anything else plays a part but i agree with the change of temp being of greater significant factor over the actual temperature until you get below ~ 40F....when its frigid outside would you rather be buried in your favorite sweatsuit next to a warm spot or out in the elements. Same for a fish....when water temps drop they huddle into a relatively warm or more stable position (deeper is more constant) but when small "warming" trends takes place, just like you and I, they look to move and take advantage of the increase in temperature and activity that will come with it.

my two cents...which is really worth about 1/2 cent with inflation.

Charles
Great post and interpretation of your thoughts. However; water is compressible and becomes more dense from around 40 degrees towards 32 degrees and then the magic happens. Around 33-31 degrees water reverses properties; well, in a layman's explanation. I have a link in one of my posts about this subject. It is very interesting and one that I never realized.

Barometric pressure has a huge effect on shallow water bodies more so than in deep water. Also, this effect is exaggerated by water/air temperature changes due to the density of the air/water.......

Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 PM

Good point MadisonBoats...

As the water temp falls it does become more dense as long as it is liquid to about 4oC at which point its density reverses. Then, as it takes on its crystalline structure (ice) it then expands and its density quickly degrades. It is true, water is compressible, but the amount is almost insignificant. Due to the polarity of water molecules they are held very tightly togther and there is not much room for compression of molecules. This is also the phenomenon behind surface tension.

compressibility of water is small. An increase of pressure by 1 atmosphere (= 1013mbar = 14.7 psi) causes a decrease of the water volume by 5.3*10-5 of the original volume.

Great discussion...This is really a super forum.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Good point MadisonBoats...

As the water temp falls it does become more dense as long as it is liquid to about 4oC at which point its density reverses. Then, as it takes on its crystalline structure (ice) it then expands and its density quickly degrades. It is true, water is compressible, but the amount is almost insignificant. Due to the polarity of water molecules they are held very tightly togther and there is not much room for compression of molecules. This is also the phenomenon behind surface tension.

compressibility of water is small. An increase of pressure by 1 atmosphere (= 1013mbar = 14.7 psi) causes a decrease of the water volume by 5.3*10-5 of the original volume.

Great discussion...This is really a super forum.
Sir, I hope you did not consider my reply as condescending. I am appreciative of your input and I enjoy learning and discussing topics like this one. Your explanation was much better than what I tried to convey. Good Job!

I have been studying barometric pressure effects on fly fishing for the past year and I started recording it in my log book. One of the best websites for getting information post-trip is:http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/q...?date=20101107

I use this website to more-accurately track my fishing trips with temperature and barometric changes. I think the link I sent you is for my location...After each of my trips; I will visit the website and complete my conditions log based on the time I fished. You might find it interesting; just change it to your location.

Great discussion LA MantaRay12 and I enjoy your contributions!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 PM

MadisonBoats....absolutely not, I do not see your response as condescending.... . I truly appreciate the level of intelligence i read in this forum. You for one have gone above and beyond to address my questions and those of many others.

I was really glad to see your response and look forward to future opportunities of continued learning. Thank you very much for the website address...i have been looking for a GOOD site to obtain information on conditions while i fish. I too keep a journal and look forward to one day sharing, face to face with anyone in this forum, it contents.

I really enjoy this incredible sport and get greater joy out of helping others by providing my successful fishing spots and techniques. I have so much to learn and spend hours reading information the members of this forum provide.

I look forward to future discussions. Unfortunately i tend to be very technical...just my nature...being an engineer and all....

My only regret is that i did not get to meet any of you all while in the Smokies this past Thanksgiving. We visit there every Thanksgiving and I hope to begin in 2011 making an annual trip in the Spring.

Tight lines and safe wading to you all....

Charles
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I really enjoy this incredible sport and get greater joy out of helping others by providing my successful fishing spots and techniques. I have so much to learn and spend hours reading information the members of this forum provide.
You and I share very similar fly fishing philosophies!
Quote:
I look forward to future discussions. Unfortunately i tend to be very technical...just my nature...being an engineer and all.... ...Charles
I suffer from a similar trait. I guess it is my inquisitive spirit and my curious nature....However; this trait is one of the root characteristics about fly fishing that I enjoy. It can be as simple as you want it to be or as complicated as you make it. I believe that we all pursue it for a different reason and all the really matters is that we enjoy it!