Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Cataloochie

Heading over to Cataloochie Sunday and was wondering which is the best way to go. I'll be heading out from Maryville.
Lynn
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM

I would think that going I-40 to NC exit 20 to cove creek road would be the fastest. From what I have heard the Mt Sterling road is very slow going.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Lynn, I'm with NDuncan re I-40.

My suggestion: Take 321 to just north of Cosby and then Wilton Springs Rd to the right over to I-40. South on I-40. Take US 276 (Exit 20), then right on to Cove Creek Rd.

All the other reasonable alternatives take the same time plus or minus 20 minutes to get to this common point... depending on the time of day you leave.

If you have to be in the 'Forge area when shoppers show up, US 411 to east of Sevierville, then TN 339 to Cosby might be a consideration.

Have a good trip.

JF
Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Guess I will break with convention a bit here I live in Maryville Lynn and I go to Cataloochee through townsend into the park newfound gap and soco gap 19 to maggie valley. I haven't timed it so it may take longer but I go that way cause it is more scenic and I pass more good places to eat haha. For what its worth I usually come back though via 40 just so I don't have to see the same sights I saw coming in over again. I have been sick lately so I am jealous Cataloochee is such a great place to spend a day fishing I love it there. I think part of the reason I like it so much is there are so many nice creeks to choose from so close together.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Guess I will break with convention a bit here I live in Maryville Lynn and I go to Cataloochee through townsend into the park newfound gap and soco gap 19 to maggie valley. I haven't timed it so it may take longer but I go that way cause it is more scenic and I pass more good places to eat haha. For what its worth I usually come back though via 40 just so I don't have to see the same sights I saw coming in over again. I have been sick lately so I am jealous Cataloochee is such a great place to spend a day fishing I love it there. I think part of the reason I like it so much is there are so many nice creeks to choose from so close together.
Yep, from Murvulle that is the best route. My brother timed this route vs. the I-40 route back in the summer and he said it was the quickest way back to Clinton. The road from Cosby (Hwy32) to Mt. Sterling road is slow and sometimes it is rough.

If you want a monster burger while in Maggie Valley stop at The Maggie Valley Restaurant. http://www.maggievalleyrestaurant.net/

Popcorn Sutton use to stop by here a lot back in them days.

Vincent

Last edited by steamnsteel; 11-19-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Hey guys I really want to thank you for all the info. I'll have the family with me so the quickest route would be best. I'll take my stuff but wont fish much. Will be looking around alot and will report what I find.
Lynn
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Was up there last week, mainly for a picnic with the family. Saw lots of elk. Fished for maybe ten minutes near the campground. Managed to catch a nice little brown on an EHC. Beautiful area.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 AM

must be nice. fished sunday and the only living thing in the water we saw were 4 otters...all day!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM

I'm gonna get on my soap box here a little. So let me start by apologizing for it right off the bat. What turned out to be a perfect Sunday trip turned into something that really just pissed me off. Let me ak one question if the Park is going to spend alot on the elk program why wont they police it better. I know their limited in funding, but what I saw was just to much. I saw not one but three different people feeding the elk. These people were from different cars and only 20 feet apart. This was at one of the barns near the Caldwell Place. Why aren't there any signs. Heck even my year old knew it was wrong. Dont people use common sence anymore. I even said to one of the ladies who was cutting up an apple and tossing it out. I said " miss your not supposed to feed the animals '' and her husband says why not. I just dont get it. If a child gets it, why dont the adults.
Lynn
Old 11-24-2010, 06:22 PM

Lynn,

IMO, people that do those sort of things are not exposed to the outdoors except for family trips to the Smokies or other Parks. Probably tick someone off with this comment, but I would be willing to bet most were born and raised in the city and never developed outdoor skills at any level. I work in natural resource management, and I can tell a difference in most cases if a person was city raised or country raised. That's not to say that all city people are naive in the outdoors, but a greater percentage of them are and unaware of things that most country people have been exposed to from the time the were old enough to know.

Neal