Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Default arrival of the culm

My first shipment of culms arrived via UPS recently and unfortunately three of the six culms were crushed. Spoke with the supplier and they will replace the damaged goods after Christmas so that UPS may provide better service.
The damaged culms were all the upper 6 foot sections of the three 12 foot culms prior to cutting the pieces in half. Should I be sure that the replacement culms are also from upper sections?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 PM

That's unfortunate. I would have them replace all 6 pieces. Most builders like to make the butt section of the rod from the lower half of the culm and the tip section from the upper section of the culm from the same culm that the butt section strips were taken. The theory being that you are basically recreating the culm that nature created. I would think that they would replace all six sections since they are a reputable bamboo dealer.

How bad were they crushed? It is fairly common for the culm to already have a split down the whole length of the culm whether it be a check split put their by someone or a drying split that occurred naturally. If it occurred naturally it will be irregular down the length of the culm as in it will be in different places between the nodes. I've had some tip section of culms that were split in numerous places. Any pictures? If they agree to replace all the sections, you might have lucked out because you'll have more to practice with.