Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Engineering a great trout stream? Would you support this on the Caney?

Created in the early sixties with the closing of the Greers Ferry Dam, the Little Red was carefully engineered to provide great trout fishing under federal mitigation orders. After gathering elodea, commonly called coontail, from the nearby Spring River, Arkansas Game and Fish biologists rolled the big round bales off the launch ramp below the dam, followed the next year with scuds from the same source. After all this effort the first rainbow trout from the Greers Ferry National Hatchery, just below the dam, were stocked in '65.

I had read before that the elodea was placed initially by private interests but cannot find the source, none the less a story of its placement in a river similar to the Caney Fork with results that can be easily observed in that river.

I do know that that this food source for the river has been highly productive for the trout.

elodea -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elodea
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...ve/elodea.html

Old 12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Administrator

I removed the last thread on this subject because it got out of hand. Please remember the site rules and post accordingly.

Thanks, y'all.

Paula
Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Personally I doubt the Caney can ever be a consistently great fishery simply because of the water flows...sure there will be some excellent years. However, the extremely high flows that come as a result of major rain events are the main culprit in keeping the Caney Fork River from attaining status as a premier trout fishing destination. The weedbeds are already there, but they need lower water conditions to thrive. We all know the river can grow large trout and do it fairly quickly given optimal flows. Unfortunately I don't think a good solution will be found to the problem of high flows. The river basin is too large and this part of the country has too many high water events resulting in the necessity of discharging large quantities of water. Once the repairs to the dam are finished I think that management of the flows will be a bit more consistent, but right now the Corps is so concerned with maintaining a narrow range in lake level so they simply release a high volume of water when necessary.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM

Transplanting some weeds would help, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Plateau Angler. Silvercreek
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 AM

So you guys think that the flows out of the center hill dam are substantially greater than from greer's ferry, and this is why the coontail would not do as well as it does in the little red?

Last edited by gutshot; 12-06-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM

The Red has more deeper areas than the Caney, even with no flow. I have seen the Red run higher than the Caney during the 01 floods, it damaged the river bed as well.
The Caney has the grass, we just need some non flood years.

Grumpy
Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Looking at the Red river gauge at Fulton and the Caney Fork guage at Stonewall which has been down a lot this year, it would appear the Caney has higher water levels this year even excluding the May rain.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The Red has more deeper areas than the Caney, even with no flow. I have seen the Red run higher than the Caney during the 01 floods, it damaged the river bed as well.
The Caney has the grass, we just need some non flood years.

Grumpy
It seems as though the little red runs much higher under "normal" generation than the caney and much closer to flood like levels on a regular basis.

While people talk about some weed still being around and differences in flows. Could the coontail increase the potential of the river and maintain itself better than the current aquatic vegetation?

One reason I ask is that scud patterns have had greatly reduced results for some, an indication they are nonexistent or largely removed?

What about transplanting scuds as was discussed in my first post? Any benefit there with the greatly reduced vegetation levels in the upper river could this aid the recovery?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm not getting that stage level from the gauges I saw, but I'm not sure where that Red River gauge is located. No doubt elodea would increase bug life. The great "bug factories" out west such as Silvercreek and the Henry's Fork are full of it. Also gives trout a place to hide. The Caney does not have much bottom structure for trout to hide, and elodea would supply that as well. Silvercreek
Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Is the fulton gauge on the red river in fulton Arkansas?