Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Red river in the Corps Little Rock district. Not sure where Fulton is though.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Rats, wrong river. Should be Little Red River. Closest gauge I can find is in Judsonia. Which is pretty far down stream of the dam. Stages for 2008-2010 look heavy though. silvercreek
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

The river still has a ton of scuds and sowbugs in it. The weeds are doing better than this time last year and the new regulations are starting to help. The regs have only been in place on the river since March 1st so we will really see results next spring and summer, due mainly to the growth rate of the fish that have been stocked this season. Kick the river with a buddy and a screen once it drops back down and you will be amazed at what you find. A couple of the clubs locally offer entomology classes and so does Fly South.

The biggest issue with the Caney Fork in the future will not be weeds or bugs but will be the canoe rental places that will be throwing 100's of canoes/kayaks on the river each weekend to float from the dam to stonewall. This is my two cents on the subject.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
The biggest issue with the Caney Fork in the future will not be weeds or bugs but will be the canoe rental places that will be throwing 100's of canoes/kayaks on the river each weekend to float from the dam to stonewall. This is my two cents on the subject.
I can see how this would hurt the fishing guides business, but how will it hurt the trout? I have caught rather nice trout in the prop wash of tourist boats on the little red. The bite did not go off because of boats or noise in my experience.

I appreciate your observations of the river's sow bugs and scuds. I have not had that same information. I think some pictures comparing the weed levels in the past and present may be in order also. Let me see what I can do......

It still does not address the questions related to coontail. Would you be for it or against it? And if there was in fact a decrease is scud populations in the upper river, would you support actions that have proved effective in introducing them or reintroducing them?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 PM

I am not a guide so I don't know if the canoe rental places would hurt business or not. The one thing it does do is make for a miserable experience on the river. The bite shuts down somewhat due to the canoe folks playing radios, throwing firecrackers in the water, slapping the water with their paddles (sometimes on purpose) and leaving trash on every gravel bar they stop at does not help the experience or the river either. Not to mention the 45 minutes to an hour that it takes for them to load and unload on the public ramps. They also do not pay to use the river and we as fisherman do pay for the resource of trout that are stocked.

As for the scuds on the Caney they migrate. Seeing them during migration is really interesting as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I am not a guide so I don't know if the canoe rental places would hurt business or not.
I meant it just pushes more anglers into the sections of river that they frequent with clients. Also, there are the sections that retain some areas with vegetation, the food needed to maintain scud and sowbug populations. I will try to be more clear in the future. With the new ramp the lower sections will get hit more by anglers as they both retain more vegetation and have less of the crowds.

I was talking with a fellow I fish with tonight and he commented how he liked the canoe rentals because it cleared out most of the other serious anglers. He could smoke a cigarette between flotillas and then fish mostly alone. Too each his own.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Jon, interesting comment about scuds migrating. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. I use to see them traveling upstream right against the bank in slack water years ago. I have not seen that since the constant minimum flow. Is that what you are seeing? Silvercreek
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM

No support from me. Scuds are already there as is aquatic vegetation, both populations will rebound, if conditions are right. However conditions were not right in 2010.

Additionally, it is way too easy for non-native vegetation to accidently make their way into the water when accidentally wrapped up in the bales, IMO.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM

I think that is a real concern but the brown trout are from Europe, the rainbows are from California, and the brook trout from Washington. So all non natives.

Should they ban felt soled waders, in your opinion? They have or are in the process of doing this around the globe as it is a major vector for invasive species?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Invasive species are a serious concern. That is why I would only support transplanting existing elodea from existing sites upstream to jump start the Caney's recovery. Silvercreek