Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
I think that is a real concern but the brown trout are from Europe, the rainbows are from California, and the brook trout from Washington. So all non natives.

Should they ban felt soled waders, in your opinion? They have or are in the process of doing this around the globe as it is a major vector for invasive species?
It will never happen, there are to many places on a boot other than the felt for things to cling to, then, there are gravel guards, boats from one stream to another, what about the flies or fly lines.
Then, there's them blame birds & wildlife that goes from one stream to another
It is up to us to sanitize or completely dry our gear after use, regardless of what type it is.

Grumpy
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Invasive species are a serious concern. That is why I would only support transplanting existing elodea from existing sites upstream to jump start the Caney's recovery. Silvercreek
Hadn't thought about that as an option. Are the weeds above Thayer Wilson and between Thayer Wilson and the ball fields elodea?

I hadn't looked closely enough and since they didn't grow mid stream and in the same manner as the weeds on other rivers assumed they were not the same weeds.

If they are maybe a state supported transplant to areas near the dam but away from the main flow might be a great solution and help keep the river seeded with vegetation and scuds for years to come......

I bet some 'planting beds could be made to help keep them in the rockier areas along the cliffs at the dam....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM

I can't say about the weed beds that far down stream. But the ones at Happy are, and there is a very good size bed of them on the bank side just above the boat ramp. When the water is down that area is just about all weeds at their peak growth. Seen some buffaloe in them but seldom any trout as at low flow the weeds are too thick.