Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM

I'll be tying a lot of the next few weeks. I tie a lot more subsurface patterns than dry flies... Last night I didn't really have time, but just had to tie so I quickly tied a wooly bugger, a Tellico, and a GRHE. Once I get serious about tying, I sit down with specific quotas in mind. I tie Zebra Midges at least by the dozen and usually do 1.5-2 dozen per session with small breaks in between. Normally I try and come up with a list to finish by the end of winter. Unfortunately I never seem to finish it because fishing gets in the way. Maybe this will be the year that I finally just focus on preparing for the next year's fishing. I'm hoping to get out west again this next summer and need to start tying for that... So much to do, so little time...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM

I've have been working on pheasant tails, tellicos and princes. I wish that I could tie very night. I usually limit it to two nights a week and rainy days.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Good stuff guys! Would love to see some everyone's flies, especially PlateuaAnglers midges, bloodworms etc. Also, any updates on tying stations would be nice as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
I've have been working on pheasant tails, tellicos and princes. I wish that I could tie very night. I usually limit it to two nights a week and rainy days.

GrouseMan,

Going to hit an area up around Crossville (You know the one) to look for some Grouse next week. Thinking I may have a shot, but thought I would ask your opinion on it. With that many acres I figure there has to be a few. May head up to southern Wisconsin like you do next year (it's a guess...did I make you nervous? ).
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
GrouseMan,

Going to hit an area up around Crossville (You know the one) to look for some Grouse next week. Thinking I may have a shot, but thought I would ask your opinion on it. With that many acres I figure there has to be a few. May head up to southern Wisconsin like you do next year (it's a guess...did I make you nervous? ).
Good luck with the grouse hunting, if there are any left out that way. I wasn't aware that you had a dog or bird hunted? Anyway, good for you the sport needs more participants.

Head on up to southern Wisconsin next fall.I hear they have a lot of grouse there. I think that Park Falls, WI claims to be the "ruffed grouse capital of the world". You may want to start there. It's not close to where I go but I hear it's good.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I have a dog. I can barely hold him when I need to and he gets a bit too far ahead, but he's all I have so...Wifes uncle is a big time bird hunter in Wisconsin. Thanks for the tip. I will consult with him and may make the trip. From what I understand grouse hunting in Tennessee is almost impossible. This will be my first trip for grouse and only third since I was a kid for any bird. I don't know all the lingo, but figured I would get back into it. I love to fly fish but I also like to have other hobbies to keep my mind busy and in my book TV is almost worthless.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I have a dog. I can barely hold him when I need to and he gets a bit too far ahead, but he's all I have so...Wifes uncle is a big time bird hunter in Wisconsin. Thanks for the tip. I will consult with him and may make the trip. From what I understand grouse hunting in Tennessee is almost impossible. This will be my first trip for grouse and only third since I was a kid for any bird. I don't know all the lingo, but figured I would get back into it. I love to fly fish but I also like to have other hobbies to keep my mind busy and in my book TV is almost worthless.
It's not impossible but it is pretty darn tough. I've been out three times to areas that I know hold birds and have not yet seen a grouse or heard a flush. If you need another hobby you might want to look into an ant farm or knitting. BTW, deer season opens back up this weekend.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM

I'll stick with bird hunting for now. I tried an ant farm but it gave me calouses and those aren't fashionable. I don't like to hunt big game. Rabbit, bird, fish and the occasional beer are it for me.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-13-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
I'll be tying a lot of the next few weeks. I tie a lot more subsurface patterns than dry flies... Last night I didn't really have time, but just had to tie so I quickly tied a wooly bugger, a Tellico, and a GRHE. Once I get serious about tying, I sit down with specific quotas in mind. I tie Zebra Midges at least by the dozen and usually do 1.5-2 dozen per session with small breaks in between. Normally I try and come up with a list to finish by the end of winter. Unfortunately I never seem to finish it because fishing gets in the way. Maybe this will be the year that I finally just focus on preparing for the next year's fishing. I'm hoping to get out west again this next summer and need to start tying for that... So much to do, so little time...
David,

I do the same thing, as far as the list goes. My wife loves to give me a hard time about it. I have a spreadsheet that lists the fly patterns and quantities I want to have in each box. So, a couple times a year I run through it and take inventory, and it calculates down at the bottom the quantity of each type of pattern I need to tie. Probably 75% of my tying is midges; zebra midges, buzzers, blood worms, brassies, WD-40's, rojo midges, etc. since that is what I fish for the majority of the year. I would say that only 10% of the flies I tie are dries.

I will probably run through 75 - 100 flies in a year if I make it out on my average of 30 trips per year. I usually get my jump start on tying over the Christmas holidays when the in-laws are in town. Gives me something to do when everybody is sitting around talking about a bunch of family members I have never met.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I usually get my jump start on tying over the Christmas holidays when the in-laws are in town. Gives me something to do when everybody is sitting around talking about a bunch of family members I have never met.
Sounds like a good time to head for the SoHo... Let me know if you are interested...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com