Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Post Clinch Report: [12/18/10]

I fished the very short release window Saturday Evening (3:30-5:00PM). The water was still a little high were I was fishing. The activity was very slow as expected. Also, I did not see any signs of a hatch. That was expected too since the window was so short and late in the day. Unfortunately, I did not pull any fish. I about froze my butt off... If you plan on fishing today; take your neoprene gloves. My wool-fingerless did not hold up too well.

There could be a decent midge hatch with today's window and if the sun comes out.

Yesterday's conditions:
Saturday, Dec. 19, 2010
Time3:30-5:00PM) Tail-End of one Generator
Water Temp: 55 Degrees Consistently
Air Temp: 35 Degrees
Barometer: 1015.5 Millibars (Was falling all day and hit steady when I started to fish)
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks Shawn. I'm going to keep an eye on the fishing conditions you post. Leonard Wright in his study of trout feeding behavior came to the conclusion that trout feed best when the water temp approached the optimum for the species. (Approx 63 degrees for all species) The faster the change toward the optimum the more they feed. He also says when the air temp is colder than the water temp, surface feeding subsides or stops. The conditions you noted, steady temp and colder air than water would have predicted the fishing results you posted. I take some of this with a grain of salt as I have seen trout actively surface feeding when the air was colder than the water on tailwaters. Thanks again for adding the conditions. Silvercreek
Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Shawn-

Thanks for the report. I've been watching the release schedule and its not been condusive to fishing. I imagine that with the short window, the water doesn't really have a chance to fall, before they start again. Makes it tough, for sure.

On neoprene gloves, I use some scuba diver's gloves, and they work great to keep your hands warm. You can get them in various thicknesses that you want.

Bill
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Bill,
I have a pair of neoprene gloves that are fingerless, but they have a fold back mit to cover your fingers when you do not need the agility of the finger part.

I have discovered a brand in one of my outdoor magazines that look like they have amazing agility - Seirus Gloves. Has anyone used their gloves before?

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM

Shawn-

Not familiar with Seirus equipment. Both of my diving gloves are made by Glacier Glove, one is 3 mil thick, and the other is 5 mil thick, and have slit cutouts for your thumb & forefinger. I carry both so that I can adjust to the water temp, and weather conditions as needed.

I found that if you go thicker than 5 mil, you loose the dexterity with your fingers, and you might as wear GoreTex insulated hunting gloves. IMHO

The gloves you have pictured look very similar to mine. I like the cuff on yours which should go further up the wrist area, especially if you're going to dunk your hand in the icy water to retrieve a fish.

Bill

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 12-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Fished the Clinch Sunday.
Absolutely killed them on one pattern. If I switched I couldn't draw a strike.
It's a very complicated pattern: Two colors of thread and a bead.

4X
Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Default the Clinch

I did that last fall at Miller's Island. Absolutely killed the browns on a fly like you described. I had two. Fished for three hours with them until I lost the second one to a good fish. They wouldn't touch anything else.