Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Best "Cheap" Med-Fast Action Rod

Folks,

I may be in the market for a new fly rod but my budget is limited (like everyone elses right now I suspect). I am interested in a 4 weight, 9 ft rod for use primarily in the tailwaters. Essentially I am looking for a rod that can throw line a good distance with moderate accuracy and will make a 12-16" trout seem like a whale. I started out looking at the Sage Flight and St. Croix Legend rods but my upper budget for the rod may be in the $200 range so I am looking for something cheaper.

Any thoughts on a rod that might fit the bill? A brand available at LRO would, of course, be ideal...

Thanks, Cincivol.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM

You mentioned a rod that is carried by LRO. My suggestion would be go to LRO and look at what they have, cast them and make the choice. I am confident the folks at LRO will do everything possible to help you make the right choice.
Your signature indicates you are from Cincinnati and now a TN Vol, right?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Ross Essence FW490-4 $229.00
Redington RS4 9044 $199.95
Ross Essence FC490-4 $179.00
St. Croix Imperial 2 and 4 piece $180 and $200
I know a guy who has a couple rods in that range for sale new as well. tjw37909@yahoo.com
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

The trout will never know or care how much or how little you pay for a fly rod.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM

The less expensive St Croix rods generally have a good reputation. Temple Fork Outfitters makes great affordable rods as well. I have two and like them both.

LRO carries both brands.

I've never felt like I would have caught more or better fish if I had a more expensive rod.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:51 AM

Thumbs up TFO and St. Croix

I agree with the St. Croix and TFO recomendations I have a St. Croix Imperial 4 wt. 8.5' rod, and It does pretty darn good for me. It is light enough to make your catch "feel like a whale" and fish light tippets without worrying too much about setting the hook to hard. Its casting distance, for me atleast, is pretty good. I do not own a TFO 4 wt, but own 5, 6, and 8 wt. models. They are all pretty darn good. They flex pretty well under pressure with big fish and cast very well. I really couldn't recommend one over the other.
St. Croix Imperial 4 wt. : $170
TFO 04 90 4 P: $150
Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions.

John, you correctly deduced that I am a native Cincinnatian, lived there for 25 years. I have been living in Knoxville off and on for about 10 years (attended UT for a few of those years). Cincy is a neat city, lots of history and beautiful buildings. I like it here better though. The fishing is better by a long shot!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciVol View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions.

John, you correctly deduced that I am a native Cincinnatian, lived there for 25 years. I have been living in Knoxville off and on for about 10 years (attended UT for a few of those years). Cincy is a neat city, lots of history and beautiful buildings. I like it here better though. The fishing is better by a long shot!
Cinci,
I live right outside of Florence (about 15 miles south of the river). Let me be the first to say, you're not missing much by avoiding our winter here. Right now, about 5" of snow on the ground, hasn't been above freezing all month and more snow on the way. I think we've had about 5 or 6 hours of sunshine all month and the streets downtown are all just dirty slushy gray what used to be snow.

Spring, early summer and fall are beautiful, but you can have August, December, Janurary, February, March, and the first couple weeks of April though.

Hopefully, I can retire from my day job in 3 or 4 years and head to SE Tennessee. Yes, it's cold in the winter there, but it doesn't last quite as long and in August, one can drive up to the mountains for a break from the heat.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Jeff,

I miss the snow in Cincy, but my memories are probably clouded because my snow days there were all about missing school and sledding all day, not the grownup version of snow days (bad traffic, managing kids that are out of school, etc...)

Another thing that Cincy seems to have is some great striper/hybrid fishing in wadable rivers. My brother and friends have had a great year on the Little Miami and Great Miami rivers catching 20-30" hybrids in water that's 2-3 ft deep. I still haven't found that here yet.

Stay warm. I'll be up there in a few days for Christmas.

Dave
Old 12-23-2010, 09:24 PM

I'll also throw in for Reddington. I have an RS3 in 4wt that I got for fishing the Caney Fork, when the numbers of big fish tanked. It is wonderful for the price range.

I do not like the RS4s as well, they do not have the medium action qualities of the RS3. But there are RS3s still out there for sale. I like the more medium action qualities of the RS3 especially when fishing 7 and 8x tippet under an indicator, lots of cushion.